Acronyms gone wrong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received an advert today for a sales tool. Here was the lead in:

Fall In Love With The Right POS​

Get 50% Off #1 POS For Dive Shops

Get the Complete Dive Shop POS Now​

Someone really needs to rethink the name and its acronym.

Well, if it's like the system that the main office chose for us, in a different industry, the name fits perfectly.

This one is a bit unfortunate depending of how dark your humour is.

Well, Scubaord has certainly changed since the oughts. I grok the ads, yes, and in retrospect it was inevitable.

I changed my POS for my business a few years ago and chuckled numerous times over that acronym. But a really like my current POS because it's not a POS.:D

I used to be an Exercise Director in NORAD, the North American Aerospace Defense Command. We had a series of exercises for which the purpose was to test the response of the NORAD "Alert Jets" to respond to a no-notice "threat". This threat could be anything from a simple aircraft entering an Air Identification Zone to a situation similar to what happened on 9/11.

These exercises were known as Simulated Penetration Air Defense Exercises or "SPADES". Due to this word also being a racial slur, the decision was made that not only was that name NOT to be used, but that the leadership was looking for a replacement name effective immediately.

Given what the purpose of these exercises was, I suggested (with a little prompting from my "inner 5 year old") renaming them as "Fighter Alert Response Tests". It was approved at my unit and forwarded to the Continental NORAD Region (CONR) where it was approved and forwarded to NORAD HQ Exercise Shop. Shortly after it was submitted to NORAD HQ (within minutes), I got a phonecall from the NORAD Chief Exercise Director that went something like this:

"Seriously Hoag, you submitted actually renaming them as FARTs! Personally, I think it is hilarious, but there is no way that is going to happen. Nice try though."

I wonder how many people saw what the acronym would be and giggled as they forwarded my recommendation up the Chain of Command.

:rofl3:

About 10 years ago here in Seattle they built the South Lake Union Trolley......then had to change the name once the "I rode the SLUT" t-shirts came out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom