Ack! Water withdrawl...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just wanted to let the Twin Lakes group know that I'm still around and hoping to get back out there, hopefully next week. I pulled off a perforated eardrum (and then like an idiot in denial I walked around for a week and a half before going to a doctor - it was nearly healed by then but the raging infection in my middle ear became the primary problem) and the doc's have me grounded until at least next Monday. One question that I have is: I remember when (most probably) the injury happened, on my first dive the last time I was at TL, but instead of happening on initial descent it happened mid-dive - I didn't even realize that we were changing depth rapidly until it was too late. Are there any tricks that you guys use to keep this from happening, or does the perception of changing depth it just come with experience?

Originally posted by chrispete
....I remember when (most probably) the injury happened, on my first dive the last time I was at TL, but instead of happening on initial descent it happened mid-dive - I didn't even realize that we were changing depth rapidly until it was too late. Are there any tricks that you guys use to keep this from happening, or does the perception of changing depth it just come with experience?

Alot of it is experience. Bouyancy control is the biggest 'trick' for this one! :wink: Depth changes of just 1-2 ft is noticeable. Another is keeping a close eye on your depth gauge. Even local spots that you are very familiar with need constant monitoring. I check depths often so I know what depth to get to to find that same tree, patch of grass with the turtle, and for navigation hints. Ambient light is another tip-off.

Come back and keep practicing!

heh, so me floating over you while trying to stay still so you can take that photo isn't supposed to happen? :wink: I will be back at TL as soon as I possibly can to keep on practicing. I had always had the perception that I was holding my bouancy at least decently well until my download kit came for my computer - um, those graphs let me know just how much I bob up and down.

Anyway, I'll see you guys next Wednesday, I hope!

Originally posted by chrispete
heh, so me floating over you while trying to stay still so you can take that photo isn't supposed to happen? :wink: I will be back at TL as soon as I possibly can to keep on practicing. I had always had the perception that I was holding my bouancy at least decently well until my download kit came for my computer - um, those graphs let me know just how much I bob up and down.

Anyway, I'll see you guys next Wednesday, I hope!

I thought I had the bouyancy thing down pat and was very proud of myself for such consistant profiles...until I started downlaoding my computer and saw one of those damned graphs! Getting that visual of how things really were was a big eye opener for me. And probably did the most to make me aware of my position at all times. So watch those graphs....they'll help ya!

And here I thought you intended to hover above like a buzzard waiting for a meal! :eek:ut:

Just got cleared by my ENT a week earlier than I had expected - went straight from there to the dive shop and they presented me with a shiny (well, maybe not so shiny, but it doesn't matter does it?) steel 72 full of air gratis to go play with tonight as a "got well" present along with an invite to come play in his pool as he'll have a couple of students over.

Didn't realize that I really, really missed being in the water this much until today :D

You planning on coming out tomorrow? We'll work on straightening out that graph! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom