Acer laptop computer - BEWARE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard similar stories about acer laptops, one person I met had 2 crap out on them. I bought an external 200 GB H/D ($120 ish) and back up my laptop (Acer) to it in the event I ever have a major failure, at least I won't really loose anything off the H/D.

I bought an Acer desktop back in 1997 and it ran like a champ for years (as long as you didn't try and upgrade anything on it, it didn't want you to make it anything other than how it was put together)

Hope yours gets to feelin better!

I bought an Acer desktop back in 1997 and it ran like a champ for years (as long as you didn't try and upgrade anything on it, it didn't want you to make it anything other than how it was put together)
I have found that most computer problems are user induced rather than hardware based...

long or short beeps?

1 long, 2 short.

SparticleBrane:
I am always somewhat amused when people blame the "manufacturer" of the laptop for a hardware issue. MOST computer companies don't make their own hardware...

My issue isn't so much the hardware as it is the fact that this is a regular problem with Acer that they refuse to recognize and their immediate, and only, resolution is to charge a flat rate of $449 with no guarantee that the problem will be fixed.

I also didn't do anything unusual with that laptop. It was probably less than regular usage. I don't play video games or do a lot of downloads. I use it to access the Internet and store my photos and videos.

ekremer, thanks for that link. I've looked on an Acer site for those codes and they didn't have the beep sequence my laptop was doing on there. It looks like maybe it could be a video card problem.

For anyone who is interested in the Acer problem click here. You'll see this is a common problem in the Acer world.

BTW, I took the hard drive out and had the same issue. As was the case with all the other folks, it appears I have a motherboard problem. I just ordered an HDD enclosure and will convert the hard drive into a portable one. I guess I'll sell the rest of it on ebay. Apparently these things sell for $150-200 so at least I'll get back close to half of my money.

Back
Top Bottom