Acer laptop computer - BEWARE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are they long or short tones ? could be beep or beeeep diffrent beeps diffrent error code.. could be bad ram forexample.. that would keep it from booting or vidio problem wich would be mb replacement..

avoid toshibia as well... im just saying i work behind the counter at futureshop and i see a ton of toshiba laptops comeing back in like 70percent are toshibias.. have only seen a few sonys.. the problem with most laptops are the 3 things that break screen (expensive or screwed) hardrives (cheap) motherboard (pain to find..) those are the most common problems with any computer doesnt really matter on brand with ibm and acer i find that hardrives go fast on them as they tend to use referbished hardrives wich is stubid..

get an asus eee pc its a solid state drive like a memorry card so it will last a long time and the screen is 7 inch so its a tiny laptop which can run windows xp if you add a usb cd rom it doesnt replace a main computer but its nice for a laptop

by a desktop for main computer and that laptop for mobilty the nice thing about that laptop is that you can almost fit it in your pocket and its less 1 pound..

Just be aware that the asus does not run any windows programs....linux only.

are they long or short tones ? could be beep or beeeep diffrent beeps diffrent error code.. could be bad ram forexample.. that would keep it from booting or vidio problem wich would be mb replacement..

One long tone and 2 short tones. According to Acer it's either the motherboard or the hard drive, which I had already figured out. Based on my research I think it's the motherboard.

Peter, I wish I had your luck. Unfortunately, it seems the problem with my laptop is a common one.

One long tone and 2 short tones. According to Acer it's either the motherboard or the hard drive, which I had already figured out. Based on my research I think it's the motherboard.

Peter, I wish I had your luck. Unfortunately, it seems the problem with my laptop is a common one.

That's easy enough to figure out.

The hard drive is pluggable, and a replacement is around $100.

Pull it and see what happens.

Terry

Thanks, Terry! I'll check it out and see what happens.

That's easy enough to figure out.

The hard drive is pluggable, and a replacement is around $100.

Pull it and see what happens.

Terry
Disable the hard drive in the bios and try to boot from a floppy or CD.

Thing is I can't even get into the bios right now. 3 beeps and nothing.

Just be aware that the asus does not run any windows programs....linux only.

Not quite true. Yes, comes with Linux preinstalled, however, you can hook up a CD-Rom drive, wipe the disk, and install Windows on it, if you want to. The manual has instructions how to do that (which isn't more difficult or annoying than any other Windows installation), and how to tune the installation even more after you're done with the basic setup. Windows drivers for the hardware are on the recovery CD that is supplied with the EEE.

Actually, that small machine runs XP surprisingly well/fast.

Hmm...

I am always somewhat amused when people blame the "manufacturer" of the laptop for a hardware issue. MOST computer companies don't make their own hardware -- take apart any computer and you'll see a myriad of OEM corporations who sell their parts to the computer company, which then assembles them. For example, if your hard drive is the problem, I would certainly not blame Acer for a failed Seagate/Western Digital/IBM hard drive. That's a bit ridiculous, don't you think?
If Acer didn't manufacturer your laptop's motherboard in house with their own equipment, you can't fault them unless it wasn't installed correctly.

Now, onto MY Acer story, which is the complete opposite of yours.
I own an Acer Aspire 2025WLMi, purchased in the summer of 2004 for $2,200 right as I was about to head off to college. It wasn't quite top of the line but close for the time period. 1.8GHz 'Dothan' CPU with 2MB of L2 cache, 512MB RAM, XP Pro, DVDRW, 15.4" widescreen, nice graphics, 80GB hard drive (albeit slightly slow at 4200rpm), wireless, ~5 hours of battery life.

I've had this computer ever since then and it has always served me well. I've carried this computer to and from class in a backpack on a regular basis for the past 3.5 years -- when it's 100º outside, when it's below freezing, in the rain, and in the snow. It gets tossed around when I throw my bookbag in the car. I've had a rather large person fall on it -- still has the dent on the aluminum lid, in fact.

I've never had to reload Windows.
I've never had a hardware failure, even a hard drive. Laptop hard drives are notorious for dying on a regular basis.
I've never had a virus or any spyware (although this is more my doing than the computer...). I don't run antivirus software.

I will admit that I have had two small issues, both of which were easily resolvable.
  • The lid has never wanted to close from the beginning -- no issues, found a workaround within 30 seconds of getting the laptop.
  • Once or twice the wires for the screen have started to come loose, probably due to me walking around with it on my back all the time. Open the laptop, resecure the connection, easy as pie.

Have I bought something else in the meantime? Yes...an iMac G5. Both of these computers are in a tie for my favorite ever. :wink:

If someone wants to buy an Acer computer, I can't recommend them enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom