Accomodation in PDC or Cozumel for diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the OP's profile is accurate with 0 to 24 dives, cenotes may be a little challenging. Good bouyancy control is important as well as comfort in an overhead environment.

I do agree that the ferry over and back each day will make for a long one. Would make much more sense to stay on the island unless there is another reason he needs to be on PDC.

Check with Aldora and see if they are still doing this, they offered it last year.
Take the 7 AM ferry, do a 2 tank AM dive then they put you up in their Villa free of charge if you dive the next morning with them. I did it and it is a heck of a deal.

We booked our flights to Cancun and decided to stay a week in Cozumel and week in Playa del Carmen. I think this make it overall easier when diving in the morning and we still have the beaches on the west side of Cozumel if there is going to be a problem with sargassum.

A few questions:

1) What diving base and hotel do you recommend on Cozumel?
2) Would you rent a car in Cancun and use it everywhere or would you use a scooter in Cozumel and the bus everywhere else?
3) Does it make sense to go for AI in Cancun or are the restaurants there very nice and we should consider only breakfast at the hotel?
4) Is Nitrox widely available in Cozumel?
5) Is the Palancar reef the "best" diving site in Cozumel?
6) What diving base do you recommend in Playa del Carmen / Tulum for cenotes?
7) Is it really possible to see bull sharks near PDC in march?

Thanks again for your help!

We booked our flights to Cancun and decided to stay a week in Cozumel and week in Playa del Carmen. I think this make it overall easier when diving in the morning and we still have the beaches on the west side of Cozumel if there is going to be a problem with sargassum.

A few questions:

2) Would you rent a car in Cancun and use it everywhere or would you use a scooter in Cozumel and the bus everywhere else?
3) Does it make sense to go for AI in Cancun or are the restaurants there very nice and we should consider only breakfast at the hotel?

Thanks again for your help!
1) There are so many great options for both dive ops and hotels. Personally, I like to stay downtown in order to have access to all of the great restaurants and night life within easy walking distance. Since i stay downtown, I like staying at the Suites Colonial Cozumel: Suites Colonial Cozumel - It is very quiet, super clean and comfortable, right downtown and very well priced. The stay there also includes a free buffet breakfast at sister hotel Casa Mexicana, which is also a nice choice, but a bit more expensive. My dive operator also departs and returns to a downtown pier a couple blocks from my hotel. Dive op is Blue XT Sea, but there are many great dive ops.
2) In all of my trips to Cozumel, I have never rented a scooter and only once did I rent a car (for one day) to do a road trip around the island. By staying downtown, I have no need for a vehicle.
3) I have no experience with Cancun or Playa del Carmen
4) Nitrox is widely avalable through your dive operator.
5) All the dive sites in Cozumel are wonderful. The Palancar reef system is unique and geologically gorgeous and awe inspiring, but again, all of the reefs have something special and unique.
6)- Can't say
7) Yes

We booked our flights to Cancun and decided to stay a week in Cozumel and week in Playa del Carmen.
I think that is an excellent plan. Some Cozumel fanatics aren't interested in anything else, but there is much to enjoy on the mainland peninsula, too. Do ruins interest you? Mayan Ruins Mexico: Yucatan Peninsula Mayan Ruins, Mexico - LocoGringo

There are many good choices, but it really depends on what's important to you. I'd suggest that you shop the hotels on Kayak.com or Hotels.com, then research the reviews on your favorites - here, on Facebook, on Tripadvisor.

You may well want to rent a car in Cancun from one of the agencies that offer free dropoff in Playa del Carmen for that week, but that would depend on where you chose to stay and where all you want to go on the mainland. You do want to take full insurance from the agency; don't count on your credit card or other coverage.

I would not take a rental on the car ferry; leave it on the mainland. Riding scooters on Cozumel is one of the most dangerous activities possible, so please don't. If you stay in town, there is little need for a rental car most days, but if you stay at a southern resort you might find it helpful. Fiesta and Isis seem to be the most trusted on the island.

There is a big difference in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. For the latter, I'd go for breakfast in, then eating out. AIs are beneficial mostly to those too lazy to leave the resort or with kids.

Yes, usually $10 USD per tank. For your hotels and dive operators, you'll just have to ask if they'll accept payment with German currency at a reasonable exchange or credit card. For dining out and other expenses, it's best to use Mexican Pesos obtained at a bank location ATM (beware the merchant and street ATMs) with a debit card withdrawal. Also see this thread: More photos of the bank ATM scam

There are many fans of many different sites. We have a developing situation tho with news to be announced later today. We've been discussing it in this thread: Possible southern reef closure

Sorry, I wouldn't know. You may want to ask on the Mexico forum.

I meant Cozumel not Cancun in question 3, sorry.
Restaurants are too good to pass up, in my opinion. Have breakfast at your hotel (hopefully included) and then eat out.
One of the best things about Cozumel.

Have breakfast at your hotel (hopefully included) and then eat out.
I'm not a foodie, but still - I agree. I'm not very picky about dining, but I do enjoy the wonderful assortment of choices. I'm more into the cheapest places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom