accidental science project - consoles, hose protectors and corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thanks to all the great advice here, I've started simplifying everything. I moved to a back inflate, and started pulling apart my console to put things "where they belong".

It looks like I've accidentally been running a long term (8 years) science project on hose protectors and corrosion.

I pulled the computer and compass out of the console a few weeks ago and put them on my wrists for a few dives. I left the SPG in the console in case I decided I needed to switch back. (I'm not, by the way!)

Plus getting the SPG out of the Aeris console looked much harder than it actually turned out to be.

This past weekend I got around o pulling the SPG out of the console and moving it from the right to the left. I also pulled all the hose protectors to take a look, as I will likely be replacing the 2nd stage hoses with different lengths, and maybe miflex.

Take a look at what I found.

The reg set is from 2008, and has only about 40 dives on it, serviced according to the Atomic schedule.

It is always, always, always rinsed in fresh water at home, within 2-4 hours of diving.. Apparently not as carefully as I thought..

The console had a small amount of sand inside behind the SPG, and you can see the hoses on the 1st stage and their relative states of corrosion.

https://goo.gl/photos/pLcRKPHzdbB6CMzt7

On the left, the 2nd stage hoses, the back one had the host protector firmly pushed against the 1st stage, you can see the corrosion. The front hose always had the hose protector pulled a little away from the 1st stage. See the difference? The reg is an Atomic with Z1 and Z2 2nd stages.

On the right, the top is the SPG, where the hose protector was extremely tight; it took a lot of work to get that off. Probably why there's so much corrosion. The bottom is the power inflator, where there's never been a protector of any kind.

The other photo shows the corrosion at the SPG end where it was inside the console all those years. Even with overnight soaking after most dives, you can see what happened.

Is this a LOT of corrosion? Not at all, really, but the differences are interesting. The two 2nd stage hoses especially because they're the same manufacturer, same material, same number of dives, the only difference is the position of the hose protector and the amount of corrosion.

The SPG hose is a difference manufacturer (Aeris), and it looks like a different material, but still...

So I clearly needed to pull back the protectors better when I rinsed, or, as I'm going to do, get rid of them altogether.

Last edited:
I think you will find lots of people recommend NOT using the hose protectors.

You may also want to consider "soaking" verses "rinsing" your gear after salt water use. Our gear gets rinsed every day while on a dive trip. It then gets a long soak in the bathtub after we return home.

I do use hose protectors. I do not use the variety that clamps tight to the fitting, but I do use the kind that has ribs that stand the protector off of the hose so that water flows cleanly through it. I do not have a picture, but older ScubaPro, and the ones I got from Cayman Airways at the 2005 DEMA are the best.

I know this doesn't help very much....

Looks from the photos to be a bit of surface corrosion. Not a surprise after 8 years and not a problem. How long do you expect the hoses to last?

As above I would suggests a good soak after a salt water dive. Mine have at least an hour in a warm bath, then are laid out to dry in a warm room before going back to the scuba storeroom.

I use hose protectors, as above, they are ribbed. Mine are all scubapro. I have seen a couple of regs sheered off at the ferrel on the 1st stage when they have fallen on the boat.

Last edited:
I use hose protectors and I rinse AND soak my regulators in addition to pulling the hose protectors back to expose the metal part of the hoses, no issues and I go several years between servicing due to my location and absence of qualified service centers in Libya (I am planning to start a service center soon however). I see more problems with not using the hose protectors than problems with using hose protectors.

I use Atomic (primarily) and SP regulators for my own diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom