Accident To Treatment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was having a conversation today with a chamber operator who also is involved in diving medicine (can't remember the title) and is a Technical diver/instructor. He said if you have to do in water recompression you need to do it on pure o2, as if you do it on a nitrox mix, you're still on gassing some nitrogen, and making the bubble bigger.

He also said he would not attempt in water recompression unless he had to, as it is incredibly dangerous.

Thank you for all the feed back on this topic . My question boils down to this if you omit decompression , make a emergence or rapid accent why not within a few minutes descend to complete a stage decompression with 50/50 if possible. My intention is to avoid decompression sickness before it develops and where to draw the line . Is spitting blood over the line or a rapid accent from 120 feet ? I think there are some facts and bias opinions . Shopping around for answers that I want to here could be dead wrong .

I once tended to two divers in saturation ( read the story here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/2524-saturation-v-m-c.html ) who suffered a "rapid ascent", from 730 fsw to 620 fsw in just under :1, due to a loss of gas accident in the bell. These two became symptomatic of d.c.s. during the ascent profile - around 470 fsw. The procedure is to recompress the system to a depth of significant relief, then follow a new deco. ( in that case - one that was calculated by the diving contractor's in-house hyperbaric physician ).

I guess that makes it an "in-chamber recompression" - very doable with all the support we had for them; however, it was there ONLY option. I agree with those who look at IRC as a decision of absolute last resort.

And for CNS's sake, if you're going to dive in places where help is hours n' hours away, be kind to your body and practice "Extreme Conservative Profiles".

Regards,
DSD

Thanks for the link!

I was having a conversation today with a chamber operator who also is involved in diving medicine (can't remember the title) and is a Technical diver/instructor. He said if you have to do in water recompression you need to do it on pure o2, as if you do it on a nitrox mix, you're still on gassing some nitrogen, and making the bubble bigger.

He also said he would not attempt in water recompression unless he had to, as it is incredibly dangerous.
There has been successful decompression and decompression, on the deck and in-water, oxygen makes it easier and is better, but it is still quite possible.

I also feel that in-water decompression is not an alternative unless you have planned for it and drilled the procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom