Accident & Incident Discussion - Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ITYM "pPN2".

According to e.g. this, 4 bar of O2 at 21% is a bit too much.

(You can also plug in common pPO2 numbers and see where the limits of 60 and 50 and 55 metres come from.)
Absolutely. Sorry, typo. I meant pPN2.

I’m confused:
  • Sloeber’s post said “Several minutes into the dive he parted ways with his mother, as planned”
  • Your post says he split from his mother at about 40 minutes.
Do we actually know which was it as there seems to not be any clear picture of the actual dive timeline/ profile that day - lot’s on conflicting info and assumptions on the entire dive?
I just spoke to Bonnie, Cameron's mother. She confirms that they separated about 10 minutes into the dive as per usual which is the typical time it took them to swim out to the reef from shore in that area. That is what Henry had shared. I'm not sure where the 40 minute number came from but it never sounded right to me. She also shared that they had a new scooter to replace the one that was lost. She said it was very strong and much stronger than the old one. It had 6-8 hours on it. It was purchased from Kristoff in Playa del Carmen.

I believe I read, maybe here on SB, perhaps from the mother, that they split at about 40 minutes at near the NDL. I certainly could be wrong, perhaps someone else saw the same message.

Remains, we don't know what Cameron did after he parted from his mom.
Agreed - just trying to understand how long he was in already before (supposedly) headed much deeper.

EDIT - I see Ray cleared up the question - Thanks. Is there any update on the search and it's current scope this far in?

Update for Cameron Donaldson

March 22, 2019

We continued our extensive search for Cameron today. We remain focused on a positive and appreciate all the loving kindness from each of you.

The Military SAR plane and boat performed an extensive search over the drift models indicated areas.

The chartered boats focused on the dive site and then went to the end of the island. Volunteers utilized other boats to search more areas around the island.

Cuban officials have been notified with a request to perform SAR in their jurisdiction. Volunteers in Cuba continue to spread the word about Cameron and recruit search assistance along the coast.

Thank you for the donations and support; we could not have done this without your love for Cameron!

And 130 isn’t arbitrary the USN picked that depth because with the tables you could spend 10 minutes and not have a decompression obligation.

It was not arbitrary in the sense that the USN sends divers down to work, 10 minutes is about the minimum time one could do any usefull work, after that point it makes more sense to send down a hard hat diver.

When i initially trained for diving, the training was for NDL diving which was limited to 190' as 200' was a deco dive. There was no recreational limit, it was NDL and deco, recreational diving, limited by dive profile and training ( informal or formal).

I tried to find out on the board here when the 130' recreational limit started, I never got an answer. I assume it was gradually adopted over time by the diving agencies. In the '78 - '84 PADI OW manual I don't see a reference to a 130' limit, although it does caution not to exceed 60' without more experience. The PADI Tables only went to 140', between that and the instructor discussing usefull bottom time, the 130' limit was implied but not set.

Bob

Update for Cameron Donaldson

March 22, 2019

We continued our extensive search for Cameron today. We remain focused on a positive and appreciate all the loving kindness from each of you.

The Military SAR plane and boat performed an extensive search over the drift models indicated areas.

The chartered boats focused on the dive site and then went to the end of the island. Volunteers utilized other boats to search more areas around the island.

Cuban officials have been notified with a request to perform SAR in their jurisdiction. Volunteers in Cuba continue to spread the word about Cameron and recruit search assistance along the coast.

Thank you for the donations and support; we could not have done this without your love for Cameron!
Thanks for posting - I just saw I had gotten the update email from Gofundme a bit earlier. Still hoping for the best!

I believe I read, maybe here on SB, perhaps from the mother, that they split at about 40 minutes at near the NDL. I certainly could be wrong, perhaps someone else saw the same message.

Remains, we don't know what Cameron did after he parted from his mom.
I stand corrected, don't know how I came up with that profile, sorry Accident & Incident Discussion - Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

Edit: I mistakenly took the information about the 40 minutes and the near NDL from a translated article posted by KathyV on Thursday Accident & Incident Discussion - Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

I stand corrected, don't know how I came up with that profile, sorry Accident & Incident Discussion - Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

Edit: I mistakenly took the information about the 40 minutes and the near NDL from a translated article posted by KathyV on Thursday Accident & Incident Discussion - Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

Ya, I see another error in that post:

Last Monday the 72-hour deadline set by the protocol in the search was met.

I think 2:30 pm last Monday would be 48 hours since the accident.

Ya, I see another error in that post:
I think 2:30 pm Monday would be 48 hours since the accident.

It was an Google translation of a news article so you should expect some errors.

It's been a tough week missing a diver who is so talented and contributed so much to us all.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to his enduring legacy. I'm still hoping for a miracle and refuse to give up hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom