Accident Avoided!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Pug and Dan....this is definately not an acceptable diving event especially when you have a qualified instructor in the lead. My hat's off to both of you and hopefully this person will understand that we are trained in a profession to deliver the utmost of safe diving techinques/regulations...where we are more aware and concerned of the students that we dive with than our own egos. We should not dwell upon ourselvses and the glory within...but focus on the qulality of those we certify to achieve their goals.

I searched the web to get a history of events..only to discover that this person claims to have made 17 dives over a two day weekend for a period for six weeks straight......and in Canada?????...you can search the web under max dives.... I thought I was onto another story with someone who had great diving experience, and the possibilities of wreck diving stories...however since my recent research I'm lead to differ.

Let's keep diving safe and enjoyble to all those who want to share in the glory we experience beneath the waves>>>

I agree with what you say...but in reality...let's keep things in perspective....and your story just doesn't make sense according to my research....for instance...let's take your original story which I've attched below...to your newest story of being aboard a zodiac on an island..... so here it is...and tell me if something doesn't add up....

Your original print said:
We walked to the shore, into the water, and descended to 40 feet at the bottom of the first wall. From their we headed out on our first heading to deeper water, about 80 feet, where we would turn and head for a second wall that dropped to the abyss, about 365 feet, then turn West to the ridge that would lead us slowly up and back to the entry point.

About 15 minutes into the dive my second buddy, the dive master, signaled that she had a problem with equalizing and was going to turn. She signaled she was turning and then waved bye, signaling that she would return alone and leave us to complete the dive. Before I could indicate that we all will return and finish together, she turned and started to head off. I signaled to my other buddy that we should follow and we did. Within a minute I noticed something was not right, we were at 80 feet, and should have reached the sloping bottom that rises to the 40 foot wall by now. A glance at my compass showed me that we were heading out into open water and the 365 foot drop.

Now you claim that you arrived at the island in an inflated boat and tied up to peanut islalnd...So where's the 4o foot drop and first wall you talk of....and even from that location...my sources tell me that you're still at least a half mile away from a 360 foot drop...which distance is greater than any confused diver would encounter in their initial decent after a few minutes....

My friend....I only hope your life as exciting as your stories.....you can become a great author of fiction and many have made millions as fiction author....and I'd put my money on you any day....

Good luck...keep up the spirit and enthusiam....you are great...

In the original story, I deliberately omitted details that had absolutely no bearing on the outcome or the story itself. Who really cares? Apparently you do, but you seem to be the only one! As for doing 17 dives over a two day weekend. If you have ever been an instructor you know this can and does happen. It was not for six weeks straight as your post suggests, but when did the truth ever matter to a troll.

But now you call yourself an Instructor? Well you go from a diver, to a reporter, to a buddy looking for a friend, to a seasoned instructor. You are living in a fantasy land!

But lets look at your very first post on this board shall we.

clownfishing:
What an experience! I only hope that everyone who shares in your "close to death experience" of the possibility of losing a diving friend to 350 feet of water understands what it takes to be the greatest diving partner expected in this dangerous sport we share.

Your words, not mine, and already a great start in hyperbole. Already in you first sentence the alarm bells are ringing!
clownfishing:
I can't imagine going to the depths of 350 feet let alone looking for someone you love to find them. It must have been a frightful thought that went through your mind when you say her swimming away to the abyss of the seas.

The “abyss of the seas”? Colorful but yet again only your words, that already try and paint a picture that is not real.

clownfishing:
From your notes, I believe that you are a true friend and this dive master would not have survived if it wasn't for your expertise to guide her back to safety. You must be commended for your efforts and diving skills.

Shallow attempt at flattery, trying to get something are we?
clownfishing:
I'm certain that she is indebted to you for the rest of her diving career to have survived such a heroic rescue on your behalf. (I only hope you have been well rewarded for your heroic efforts).

She should be indebted to you for the rest of her life. Do you think that she may have felt that because you were a more experienced diver and therefore entrusted her life knowing that you would would look after her? The problem with some divers is that we become too dependant on those who are more experienced and therefor become more complaicant in dangerous situations knowing that someone else is there to look after them?

Boy you sure are putting the lather on now. The ringing bells are starting to bother the neighbors.

clownfishing:
My only question is...this dive master you talk of...I hope she didn't plan on assisting students...because that would be questionable in regards to safety when it comes to coaching the novice divers??? Maybe she needs more coaching from some one who is more experienced like yourself before she persues the career of becoming a diving advocate of our society....what do you think?

I think on this point that you either have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, or are a complete Pollyanna and have never venture far from the pool. I take it in your world no mistakes have ever been made, and if one is made, you are to be reminded of this with life long shame. Seeing as most divers by the time they reach the DM level, have come to understand that this is not a perfect world where everything goes just as you want it. I can only conclude that you are not a diver, or that this statement was just another troll.

clownfishing:
ps...my brother is in the magazine/advertising business....do you think I could get him to talk to you and the dive master to do a story.... I think it would be a great story to publish... If you don't mind....where were you diving to the 350 foot drop off and what time of year and location in geography did this take place.....(this could be a front pager...). Also...any other divers, or witnesses you could have to come forward and share in the events prior to and afterwards would be so beneficial for the article.

Now this last paragraph is what made me dismiss your first post as coming from a nutcrack. Any sane person reading it will see it as simply furtherance of your shallow troll. All this was posted by you on Jan 24 2005 at 9:44 PM

LESS THAN 24 HOURS LATTER, you post the following:

In response to a post by Chuck Tribolet you said…

clownfishing:
I agree with your logics...but on the other hand...I've had some time to think about this scenerio and there's a few questions that need to be defined....so before I make any further comment....I'd like to hear back from the author of this "fabulous dive master recovery story"....after all....I would like to learn more about the geographical location of the dive site before I comment.....something doesn't seem right in my veins...but then I could be wrong...
I'm waiting for the author of the story and his dive master to clarify a few questions....as I have many...

Again your put in quotes “fabulous dive master recovery story”. It was nothing of the kind. But when you are on a troll, reality does not matter.

Then on Jan 25 at 1:18 AM you post: ( do you sleep or do you just troll the net?)

clownfishing:
hi fathom 40...

I'm too planning to go to Florida and would like to dive some wrecks but would like to do it with someone who has some diving experience....

How many dives (on boats) have you had...and most of all...how many have been in the south seas? I travel a lot and love to dive but haven't been able to find someone who has the time to spend the winter diving with me.

You said you are in Florida in February and looking forward to some diving...I ck'd your website that says you haven't found time to travel....does that mean that you are tied up with your business...or do you think you could have some time to spare in February for a dive trip around the aqua seas? I have places to stay..with no expense once we get there.....if you have plenty of time for diving during the days..and fun at night...we should chat.

Are you female or male...I should clarify matters first....

So now you are a diver who travels lots, and has a place to stay for free?
WOW my prayers have been answered.

From this point on, because I have completely ignored you, your post take on a more insulting and inflammatory nature.

So far ALL your post on this board have been directed to me.

You are a fake, a phoney, you are not a diver nor are you a reporter. You are only a troll!

You are only a troll!

Well... that has been obvious to *almost* everyone from the beginning PT... and that begs the question: why are you shouting at the troll? Don't you know that trolls feed on Raging Reaction and that it is against the law to feed the trolls?

BTW... I did receive independent corroboration on the depth and profile at Hawk Lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom