Accident Avoided!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an experience! I only hope that everyone who shares in your "close to death experience" of the possibility of losing a diving friend to 350 feet of water understands what it takes to be the greatest diving partner expected in this dangerous sport we share. I can't imagine going to the depths of 350 feet let alone looking for someone you love to find them. It must have been a frightful thought that went through your mind when you say her swimming away to the abyss of the seas.

From your notes, I believe that you are a true friend and this dive master would not have survived if it wasn't for your expertise to guide her back to safety. You must be commended for your efforts and diving skills. I'm certain that she is indebted to you for the rest of her diving career to have survived such a heroic rescue on your behalf. (I only hope you have been well rewarded for your heroic efforts).

She should be indebted to you for the rest of her life. Do you think that she may have felt that because you were a more experienced diver and therefore entrusted her life knowing that you would would look after her? The problem with some divers is that we become too dependant on those who are more experienced and therefor become more complaicant in dangerous situations knowing that someone else is there to look after them?

My only question is...this dive master you talk of...I hope she didn't plan on assisting students...because that would be questionable in regards to safety when it comes to coaching the novice divers??? Maybe she needs more coaching from some one who is more experienced like yourself before she persues the career of becoming a diving advocate of our society....what do you think?

ps...my brother is in the magazine/advertising business....do you think I could get him to talk to you and the dive master to do a story.... I think it would be a great story to publish... If you don't mind....where were you diving to the 350 foot drop off and what time of year and location in geography did this take place.....(this could be a front pager...). Also...any other divers, or witnesses you could have to come forward and share in the events prior to and afterwards would be so beneficial for the article.

350 feet is not relevant. As long as you can't see the bottom, it's an open water
ascent, even if you are at at 25', the bottom is at 40', and the vis is 10'.

The scary thing is that the divemaster about to be an instructor headed off in the wrong
direction AND seemed to be unfamiliar with open water ascents.

I agree with your logics...but on the other hand...I've had some time to think about this scenerio and there's a few questions that need to be defined....so before I make any further comment....I'd like to hear back from the author of this "fabulous dive master recovery story"....after all....I would like to learn more about the geographical location of the dive site before I comment.....something doesn't seem right in my veins...but then I could be wrong...
I'm waiting for the author of the story and his dive master to clarify a few questions....as I have many...

clownfishing:
I'm waiting for the author of the story and his dive master to clarify a few questions....as I have many...
I also would love to hear more ............author.....keep us posted !

hello wet willy....

if you've actually dove West Hawk....as pt40fathoms agrees the local of this miraculous recovery....then I challenge the author to the location where a diver leaves the shores and is within 360 feet of water within minutes of the dive.... notwithstanding the fact that all three divers are familiar with the diving area.... everyone who is experienced in the west hawk area knows that the depths of 360 feet are at least a half mile from shore..... I believe this person is a fathom in the making....what do you think?

I agree that everyone needs a dive buddy...and as an instructor I'm surprised to learn that this person shared his/her experience with the public...considering that this person is supposed to be a professional who is expected to guide novice divers and or those less qualified than an instructor.

Definately not what we should be sharing in public when things go wrong , especially when someone who admits to being an instructor and is willing to admit to the lack of guidance as a professional to those who rely on professionals for guidance and safety while enjoying and experiencing a recreational sport. Any instructor knows that a buddy team is mandatory while diving, be it a novice or dive master in the making, so I question the ethics of this professional. Although the outcome was successful and had a good ending, what would have happened if it wasn't??

What do we do about qualified professionals that don't understand the logistics of exercising safe diving?

clownfishing:
hello wet willy....

if you've actually dove West Hawk....as pt40fathoms agrees the local of this miraculous recovery....then I challenge the author to the location where a diver leaves the shores and is within 360 feet of water within minutes of the dive.... notwithstanding the fact that all three divers are familiar with the diving area.... everyone who is experienced in the west hawk area knows that the depths of 360 feet are at least a half mile from shore..... I believe this person is a fathom in the making....what do you think?

Well clownfishing, you seem to know a little about West Hawk Lake, so I'll try to clarify a few points that I did not put in the original post. As most people in the world most likely could not care less about the geography of a fresh water lake in the middle of nowhere. The dive was from Peanut Island, just north of Millers Beach. We took a Zodiak from the marina and tied off to the island. Set up on the tiny island and walked a total of 2 steps on the west side to get in. We made our way around to the East side when the DM signaled to abort. The drop off here hits the slope at about 220 to 240 feet where it continues on down to 365. But from the sounds of your post you are a very experienced diver at this location, so I am just wasting my time telling you what you already know.

Does this clarify it for you, or would you like to make some other unfounded allegations?

Oh, and by the way, just what dive magazine does your brother write for?

clownfishing:
I agree that everyone needs a dive buddy...and as an instructor I'm surprised to learn that this person shared his/her experience with the public...considering that this person is supposed to be a professional who is expected to guide novice divers and or those less qualified than an instructor.

Definately not what we should be sharing in public when things go wrong , especially when someone who admits to being an instructor and is willing to admit to the lack of guidance as a professional to those who rely on professionals for guidance and safety while enjoying and experiencing a recreational sport. Any instructor knows that a buddy team is mandatory while diving, be it a novice or dive master in the making, so I question the ethics of this professional. Although the outcome was successful and had a good ending, what would have happened if it wasn't??

What do we do about qualified professionals that don't understand the logistics of exercising safe diving?

From your posts, I have not yet figure out who you are. But what you have just said is way off base, and borders on slanderous.

If you cannot get it around your head that this forum is a learning tool where people share experiences, regardless of what they are. In an attempt to show others what can and does go wrong. Then I suggest that you find some other forum to unload your problems on.

You have crossed a line of personal insult that I will not tolerate.

[Well clownfishing, you seem to know a little about West Hawk Lake, so I'll try to clarify a few points that I did not put in the original post. As most people in the world most likely could not care less about the geography of a fresh water lake in the middle of nowhere. The dive was from Peanut Island, just north of Millers Beach. We took a Zodiak from the marina and tied off to the island. Set up on the tiny island and walked a total of 2 steps on the west side to get in. We made our way around to the East side when the DM signaled to abort. The drop off here hits the slope at about 220 to 240 feet where it continues on down to 365. But from the sounds of your post you are a very experienced diver at this location, so I am just wasting my time telling you what you already know.

Does this clarify it for you, or would you like to make some other unfounded allegations?

Oh, and by the way, just what dive magazine does your brother write for?[/QUOTE]

Before you start asking questions..I'd like to quote you on your oringinal story wherein you stated.... :we walked to the shore, into the water, and descended to 40 feet at the bottom of the first wall. From their we headed out on our first heading to deeper water, about 80 feet, where we would turn and head for a second wall that dropped to the abyss, about 365 feet, then turn West to the ridge that would lead us slowly up and back to the entry point.

About 15 minutes into the dive my second buddy, the dive master, signaled that she had a problem with equalizing and was going to turn. She signaled she was turning and then waved bye, signaling that she would return alone and leave us to complete the dive. Before I could indicate that we all will return and finish together, she turned and started to head off. I signaled to my other buddy that we should follow and we did. Within a minute I noticed something was not right, we were at 80 feet, and should have reached the sloping bottom that rises to the 40 foot wall by now. A glance at my compass showed me that we were heading out into open water and the 365 foot drop.

Please explain how you first walked along the shore...and now you state you were on an island....peanut island....and everyone knows that peanut island doesn't have a decend of 40 feet with a sloping first wall to eithy feet....and a drop off to 360 feet...

wake up....you're dreaming...or perhaps narc'd

oh by the way...I'm an independant and research every story on line....and your's is not in the making...I've ck'd with divers in the area and from my understanding your story isn't worth writing about.....so long....dreamer....I wont waste my time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom