Accident Avoided!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt40fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Most of the times, we read a report on this forum where divers do not make it back, and then try to postulate on how it happened. The following is an account of what happened this weekend, the only hitch is the ending was a good one.

We started our dive as usual, gearing up and discussing where we intend to go, how deep and how long. There were three of us on this dive, and we were diving an area that all three of us know as well as our back yards. There was myself, my buddy who is rescue certified, and my second buddy who is a dive master and soon will be an instructor. We walked to the shore, into the water, and descended to 40 feet at the bottom of the first wall. From their we headed out on our first heading to deeper water, about 80 feet, where we would turn and head for a second wall that dropped to the abyss, about 365 feet, then turn West to the ridge that would lead us slowly up and back to the entry point.

About 15 minutes into the dive my second buddy, the dive master, signaled that she had a problem with equalizing and was going to turn. She signaled she was turning and then waved bye, signaling that she would return alone and leave us to complete the dive. Before I could indicate that we all will return and finish together, she turned and started to head off. I signaled to my other buddy that we should follow and we did. Within a minute I noticed something was not right, we were at 80 feet, and should have reached the sloping bottom that rises to the 40 foot wall by now. A glance at my compass showed me that we were heading out into open water and the 365 foot drop.

I signaled to my buddy that we had too catch up and started to swim as fast as I could, even at that it took about 2 minutes to catch up and grab her fin to stop her. By now we had gone a long way out, and I knew that below us was nothing for about 300 feet. I signaled to her that she was going in the wrong direction, and by this time we were getting too low on air for a return trip at this depth. Signaling to both buddies that we should ascend to 15 feet hold, they both agreed and up we went. At 15 feet we took a compass heading due West and headed back to shore, all the while boats were zipping past over head because we had gone way outside the designated dive area. We made it out with less than 300 psi in our tanks, and all of us had a good discussion of what just happened and what we just learned.

The two simple rules that were strongly reinforced that day, and I hope all of you reading will take them to heart as rules never to be broken are:

1) Always trust your compass, and even when you think you know the area, use your compass. It was the initial failure to take a compass heading West that started our trip in the wrong direction.

2) The buddies you start a dive with, end a dive with you. Without exception, regardless of reasons or circumstances.

This time we had a happy ending, but the realization that if we let her go off alone we may have never seen her again. This made a cold chill run down my back later that evening.

Very good rules, I really like no.2 Often one of the party aborts the dive and that is when a lot of things go wrong..........going up is even more dangerous than going down.

Thanks for the report.
Good that you decided to follow her.
I like your rules too.

Glad everything worked out. I like those rules also. Dive safe, dive often@@!

Great report and great rules too.

pt40fathoms:
Most of the times, we read a report on this forum where divers do not make it back, and then try to postulate on how it happened. The following is an account of what happened this weekend, the only hitch is the ending was a good one.
I'm glad to see people posting things such as this -- I myself get a lot out of reading this particular Forum -- I used to read accident reports when I was still flying for the same reason -- learn from other people's mistakes.

Thatbeing said -- most posts here are results of what happens when things get along too far. I'd like to see more posts about situations where people had a close call or in retrospect realize the potential for disaster -- so we can all learn. A story with a happy ending can be just as educational.

One of the things we discussed after the dive was “irony”.

You see, before we got geared up I mentioned to both buddies that I would like to practice some skills that I had been working on with two other buddies last year, and that I though it would be good to get them in on our regular drills. The ironic part is that the skill I mentioned that I would like to practice *next* weekend is mid-water ascents and holds, without the benefit of any visual reference. I then went on to describe how it is done and why certain things are done. It seems that when I told them we would ascend to 15 feet and hold that depth for the return swim, both of them said the only thing going through their minds was what I told them before the dive about how to do this. It is a lot harder than many people think, especially in dark waters where the vis is less than 20 feet, but they both executed it with near precision.

Irony is a funny thing.

Just though I’d mention that little bit of trivia about what went on.

Your situation also shows the benefits of carrying a surface marker bouy. I am not sure if you had one or not but if you had run low on air and needed to surface the SMB would have been usefull with all of the boat traffic in the area.

Glad you had a safe dive. Well done.

I had a SMB and an orange lift bag, and both buddies also had SMB's. So if an abort to surface was chosen we would have deployed the lift bag first on a line, and used the SMB's just before surfacing.

Fortunately bouyancy control was not much of an issue for the three of us, so a return swim at 15 was the logical route in dealing with the remaining air we had. But you are correct in pointing out that a SMB is a tool not exclusively used in the open ocean or on boat dives. They are small, cheap, and easily carried, and can be used to signal to shore as well as to boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom