Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon, you are correct. That was only an appraisal of the investigation, and how things have changed after the Austrailia case.

I figured as much, but wanted to stop any comparisions of the two incidents before it took off, thats all.

That may just be part of the standard investigation to determine if foul play can be ruled out. Every unnatural death is supposed to be treated like a homicide until foul play is ruled out.

I certainly mean in no way that the Husband/Buddy was involved in any foul play, nor that there was any foul play, although I can see that what I wrote could imply that. I only meant that the whole incident was under investigation by the authorities. Some of what I heard has been corrected by reliable sources. The instructor wasn't on the beach when he was informed that the diver was missing. He still lied to PADI in his incident report. That's why he was expelled.

I don't know. I've been tempted to stop by or call out of curiosity but I thought they have enough going on they don't need that.

Same here, Hypertech. My original instructors work out of that shop and I'm very concerned for them. OTOH, really don't want to appear ghoulish...

Wookie, Apparently the truth was bad enough to prompt the lie. If not on the beach do your sources know when he found out relative to when she went missing? Not sure we've heard anything but speculation (I'll settle for some hearsay.) Also, did padi simply drop the whole shop because he was an owner? Perhaps this is automatic but in a way it unfairly impugnes the rest of the instructors who were not involved.

it unfairly impugnes the rest of the instructors who were not involved.

That's the sad thing, other than the death of course, that one guy screws it up for so many more.

.. the store is open, and PADI instructors are issuing PADI certs under their own member numbers, not the store number. In effect, the store is operating the infrastructure (classroom, pool, equipment, money) for an instructor-led training activity. Interesting experiment

I would speculate that PADI couldn't seperate the expelled instructor/co-owner from the Dive Shop, hence the dropping of the Shop. Had the instructor simply been an employee of the shop PADI probably would have dealt with the instructor and Shop seperately. As quoted above, PADI instructors are still certifing students just under their own numbers.

Same here, Hypertech. My original instructors work out of that shop and I'm very concerned for them. OTOH, really don't want to appear ghoulish...
I think you would simply seem concerned, as long as your visit focused on them in the wake of the accident - not the accident itself. I suspect that many past customers are avoiding the shop.

They had a shop trip to Marathon FL 11 days after the accident and four international trips this summer and fall. I'd hate to have a deposit paid on one of those.

I have reason to believe there were witnesses that saw the class leaving the deep water and there was a diver reported trailing the class.

Not sure we've heard anything but speculation (I'll settle for some hearsay.)

I will confirm, as first hand information, that the statement above by Highwing is a fact, not a theory, speculation or hearsay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom