Accessories for C5050?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, I've just taken the plunge and got a 5050 :dance: I don't know how I am going to wait until it arrives and I get a housing!

I'm wondering what (if any) accessories you have with this camera (I don't mean stobes etc, just the smaller stuff like A/C adapters etc). What would you consider essential to have?

Thanks,

Mel :)

Mel.B:
Hi,

Well, I've just taken the plunge and got a 5050 :dance: I don't know how I am going to wait until it arrives and I get a housing!

I'm wondering what (if any) accessories you have with this camera (I don't mean stobes etc, just the smaller stuff like A/C adapters etc). What would you consider essential to have?

Thanks,

re: AC Adapter,

I've seen more than one post from people that bought one and said they never used it. I'd go for batteries, charger, case, image storage, etc... You know what you need.

Randy

My essential accessories are....good MAHA smart charger and PowerX 2200NiMH batteries, 256mg and 512mg CF cards. I use a laptop for storage and viewing while on a dive trip but if you don't have one or don;t want to carry the weight, there are hard drive storage devices such as FastTrax and Archos Multimedia Jukebox for $250-500. I download pics from my camera with the USB cord so I don't have to take the memory card in, a habit from the old Smart Media days, but you may prefer a card reader.

Also dessicant packs that can be rejuveniated, micro cloths or leather chammy for keeping lenses clean.

Dee:
My essential accessories are....good MAHA smart charger and PowerX 2200NiMH batteries, 256mg and 512mg CF cards. I use a laptop for storage and viewing while on a dive trip but if you don't have one or don;t want to carry the weight, there are hard drive storage devices such as FastTrax and Archos Multimedia Jukebox for $250-500. I download pics from my camera with the USB cord so I don't have to take the memory card in, a habit from the old Smart Media days, but you may prefer a card reader.

Also dessicant packs that can be rejuveniated, micro cloths or leather chammy for keeping lenses clean.

Thanks Dee, that's exactly what I needed to know :)

I've got a laptop which will be going with me on holidays so it sounds like I don't need to worry about other storage devices.

Thanks again,

Mel

Mel.B:
Thanks Dee, that's exactly what I needed to know :)

I've got a laptop which will be going with me on holidays so it sounds like I don't need to worry about other storage devices.

Thanks again,

Mel
Just make sure you take the original Olympus USB cable with you! The small end is different to the normal plugs.

KimLeece:
Just make sure you take the original Olympus USB cable with you! The small end is different to the normal plugs.

It's funny you say that....the USB sync cord that came with my Palm Pilot will also work to download photos from my C-5050! :11: I found this out totally by not paying attention to which color cord I picked up, just looked at the ends.

Mel.B:
Hi,

Thanks,

ESSENTIALS

AA Batts - no brainer. Many to choose from - get the 2000 - 2300 MHa batts if you can swing them. The 1700's just don't cut it anymore IMO. My choice: www.ripvan100.com

Card Reader - I got a 6-in-1 reader from a local dealer for $19.99 with a $9.00 rebate. Make sure the reader will read those bogus Oly XD cards (myine does not.) Pass on the AC adapter - you'll never use it. The plus from this reader is that it features a small ended USB that I can plug into the cam directly if I blow it and actually use that XD useless wafer! My choice: here. Thin, easy to carry about in my bag, tiny cable plugs in to the cam for the bogus XD card.

CF Cards - they're cheap, durable, and not really easy to misplace. Bigger is not better here. Stick with 256 or 512 and dump often, rather than load up a 1G and be heartbroken if you lose everything. My choice: eBay, baby!

Lens Armor - lots has been written on this subject. Its a must-have for all above water use. Lens armor is a lens tube that screws into the lens flambus on the front of the cam and sheaths the extruding lens, protecting it. Get a good haze filter. This weekend, in the Sierras at 9200 feet, the lens armor saved my cam, as it tumbled out of my truck onto the pavement...landing on the corner of the lens armor. My choice: The Raynox. I shoot external flash, so blocking the on-board flash isn't an issue... I never use it. Here's a good article on lens armor: READ THIS

NICE TO HAVES

Small 12" diffusers / Reflectors - I toss them into the bag, and use them all the time. My choice is a White Translucent and a gold by Photoflex. Great, cheap above-water way to significantly improve the photos you take of the people you love. I have a lot of these discs, but the small ones are always in the bag.

Pringles Lid - makes for a good way to set your WB in mixed light.

I could go on and on. I'm the biggest Oly homer on the planet. You'll do fine with this, and then start your own list.

I don't use Photoshop and all that stuff, preferring to compose in the camera and light for the shot - but a good editing program is important. You may want to roll with PS Elements. Its cheap, easy to use and learn and unless you're a publishing pro, 90% of the tweak stuff in the full release of Photoshop you'll never use.

Also: Consider picking up a copy of NeatImage. Its the best clkean-em-up software I've seen. Likewise with PhotoRescue.

All of this is in the Oly Links in the Oly forum.

Enjoy!

K

Good info, Ken. I'd like to start using my 5050 topside alot more. The lens armour is one of the first things on my list of necessities.

Mo2vation,

Is this the right lens armor? The webpage says it is compatible with 5060 (but does not mention 5050).
Raynox RT5248 Lens Adapter

What if we do not use external flash for land shots? Would you still recommend that particular lens armor?

Also, who has a quick release strap for the 5050? I cannot stand the tedious process of replacing the strap after removing the camera from the housing, but if I ever drop the camera I will never hear the end of it!

Back
Top Bottom