Accessing Dive Info on the UEMIS SDA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday I upgraded my Diving Log software and downloaded and imported all my dives from the UEMIS server. All worked great without any problems.
The only bug I found are the depth values in the profil as well as in the header data. The UEMIS SDA stores the water pressure and not the depth values. I think to be fully correct the values have to be multiplied with a factor of ~1.015 for fresh water, resp. ~0.98 for salt water.

I guess this is something that should be addressed in the divinglog importer, not in my parser, as I want the parser to create fundamentally the same output as the XML files from the UEMIS website. divinglog, is this something you could look into?

Yes, this has to be done in Diving Log. Right now I devide all depth values by 100. If someone can figure out the correct factor for salt- and fresh water by comparing the Diving Log values with the values in the Flash applet, I can implement that easily. I would be also interested how the warnings are stored in the XML files, because right now I don't parse them:

<warning_1>234881025</warning_1>
<warning_2>0</warning_2>

Depth Conversion

Hi dirkhh, scubacastor

I will collect all the info I have so far, clean up the doc and then supply it to the forum in some form. But as you my understand that will take a little bit of time.

just one more hint to the depth conversion: in the dive data post section is a table that shows different values for fresh and salt water. I assume that could be the conversion factors we need to convert the water pressure correctly to the depth.
I attached a screenshot of my excel file containing the values. Column A and C show the values found in the UEMIS binary data. I added column E, G and I while trying to find a usage for these numbers. To me it looks like that for evry 300cm there is a new value.

Post Data Table.jpg

Regards,
koni

Here's the constants I have found in the flash viewer for depth:

private static const BL_SEA_FACT:Number = 1.0347;
private static const BL_UEMIS_FACT:Number = 1.01972;

There's no mention of freshwater in the code I've browsed.

Here's the constants I have found in the flash viewer for depth:

private static const BL_SEA_FACT:Number = 1.0347;

Well, that's the ratio between sea water and fresh water (according to Koni's table).

Interestingly, that ratio isn't actually constant. Depending on temperature and depth this ranges from about 1.02 at the surface to 1.05 at great depth (according to Wikipedia).

private static const BL_UEMIS_FACT:Number = 1.01972;

And this is the inverse of the sea water factor in the table that Koni posted above. So my guess is that the SDA internally tracks something that's somewhere in the middle between sea water and fresh water (why the heck they'd do this, I have no idea) and with these two factors you can get all the data we need (frankly, these aren't exactly the most logical factors to keep around but we have found many other indications already that really don't point to "brilliant software developer at work")

As I've dealt for my work with various sensors for seawater analysis, the first thing that occured to me is that those tables might be calibration factors. Sensors rarely provides full linear response so that might be correction factors according to pressure. 1.035 is almost an oceanographic constant. Some seas have however higher values like the Mediterranean sea (1.038)

But it does not change lots of things because the changes occurs after third decimals..

Curiously I found out that my SDA provides depths 3% lower in seawater than my Suunto D6 which is calibrated in seawater. I am thinking using freshwater parameters on the SDA on my next dive...

Hi Dirkhh
:yelclap:First of everithing thank so much for the great work you did.
My name is vladimiro and I'm writing from Milano, Italy.
Obviously I have the same problem of the others guys that read this thread.
I have downloaded your utilities and used on my WIN 7 32 bit PC.
No problem using myuemis.jar that has worked fine (I got dive0001.sda and divelog0001.sda files).
But when I try to use parse_uemis.exe I alwais get the following message

C:\uemis>parse_uemis dive0001.sda
Usage: parse_uemis diveXXXX.SDA
diveXXXX.SDA and divelogXXXX.SDA are the two files extracted from SDA

Any help/suggestion will be apreciated.

PC I Put myuemis.jar, parse_uemis.exe, cygwin1.dll and cyggcc_s-1.dll on c:\uemis is this correct ? Also SDA's downloaded files are on the same directory

Dirkhh
I copy parse_uemis.exe and cyggcc_s-1.dll in c:\ and try to use the parser
Now It seems work but got this errore message

C:\>parse_uemis c:\div0001.sda
34 [main] parse_uemis 1252 C:\parse_uemis.exe: *** fatal error - add_item ("Ò¢£?", "/", ...) failed, errno 22
Stack trace:
Frame Function Args
00228998 6102796B (00228998, 00000000, 00000000, 00000000)
00228C88 6102796B (6117EC60, 00008000, 00000000, 61180977)
00229CB8 61004F1B (611B862C, 0022BCDC, 00000016, 0003000A)
0022CCE8 61080AFA (60FC000C, 61209E10, 0022CD68, 61073F40)
60FC0000 610C151D (00000000, 00000000, 00000000, 00000000)
End of stack trace

Any Idea ?

I have downloaded your utilities and used on my WIN 7 32 bit PC.
No problem using myuemis.jar that has worked fine (I got dive0001.sda and divelog0001.sda files).
But when I try to use parse_uemis.exe I alwais get the following message

C:\uemis>parse_uemis dive0001.sda
Usage: parse_uemis diveXXXX.SDA
diveXXXX.SDA and divelogXXXX.SDA are the two files extracted from SDA

RATS. I was afraid that something wouldn't work. I did some testing and obviously didn't run into this issue, but as I said many times - Windows is not my area of expertise...

PC I Put myuemis.jar, parse_uemis.exe, cygwin1.dll and cyggcc_s-1.dll on c:\uemis is this correct ? Also SDA's downloaded files are on the same directory

That sounds right to me. The diveNNNN.SDA and divelogNNNN.SDA files need to be in the same directory as the parse_uemis.exe is started from. The only thing that I can think of right now is whether this is an uppercase/lowercase problem? I thought modern versions of Windows finally got this right, but that's the only thing I could think of...

I'll be happy to try to process your .SDA files here - so if you can send me those and the matching XML files from the UEMIS site, that would still be extremely useful.

Thank so much dirkhh.
I know you are not a Windows expertised. In any case your work is great.
The attachment contain the file directly downloaded from SDA.
I don't know how to get XML file from uemis web site.
Please can you help me ?
View attachment SDA.zip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom