Access to Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tbriggsnh Right on!! :yeahbaby: I know it's all a convoluted process of bureaucracy here, that's always been the case when the gov't gets involved. But I'm super happy to hear that things are working out for ya. I'm super stoked for your trip, and I wish you the best experience.

While generally unrelated, I'd like to share a brief experience my wife and I had back in December '21 (one day before Typhoon Rai)..... We were visiting her family in southern Cebu Island, flying back to Manila, en route to Muntinlupa City. Muntinlupa was restricted, S-Pass required, PCR Test, the whole nine yards..... I insisted that we try to cover all requirements, just in case. I certainly did not want any hassles on the return home. We did rapid antigen test instead, filed S-Pass to Las Pinas (unrestricted, neighboring city, of which my wife still has an address). S-Pass approved, Antigen test in hand, check in for flights, board, land at NAIA and catch a cab home. Not a single entity, anywhere along our journey asked for our QR Codes, Test results, or even our destination. My point is, there's what is written and "required" vs what is actually enforced. These days, much of the requirements are not actually being enforced, but you never know, and certainly don't want to be caught up a tree, so to speak....

There is no better combination than Tubbataha + Coron in Philippines.
Can always return to dive Northern Coron.

Two reliable torches if you are thinking to penetrate(swim through) the wrecks.
The propeller shaft of Olympic Maru!
Gunter senior at D'Divers is an expert on all the wrecks.

I have noticed you had raised a question on Dugong in Coron in another thread.
This is what I know:
Northern part of Coron.

Kyokuzan Maru wreck is very good with a lot to see. Seldom dived because of the distance. One of the three best wrecks in Coron(for me) the other two are Irako and Akitsushima
Ki-43 plane wreck was only discovered few yrs ago.
Yes, the north area of Coron is at the top of my list for my next Philippines trip. Thanks for the link to Dugong Dive Center and the beach bungalows at the SandCastles. I see their Apo safaris are only offered on a private charter basis. Have you ever considered trying to tag along on one of them? A week or 10 days doing Apo & North Coron with these guys looks like an awesome itinerary.

Yes, the north area of Coron is at the top of my list for my next Philippines trip. Thanks for the link to Dugong Dive Center and the beach bungalows at the SandCastles. I see their Apo safaris are only offered on a private charter basis. Have you ever considered trying to tag along on one of them? A week or 10 days doing Apo & North Coron with these guys looks like an awesome itinerary.
Thank you but no thanks.
The journey from Apo to Coron is quite a distance.
I have done Apo Reef on couple occasions but always from LoB.

I believe the original owner has passed away(could be wrong).

It will take best part of a day from Puerto Galera to Sablayan via ferry and bus. You can also fly from Manila to San Jose(Mindoro).

Best time is Apr to May.

I do not think I can handle all these tedious procedures.
Why make it so complicate for the tourists?

Lol, was thinking the same thing. I'm eager to get back there but think I'll give it another year to work out this complexity. Too much margin for error.

Lol, was thinking the same thing. I'm eager to get back there but think I'll give it another year to work out this complexity. Too much margin for error.

The first leg of my trip (Manila to Puerto Princesa) didn't require my hotel to arrange for an S
_PASS since PP is "Covid-unrestricted". I just did a check for PG and, if you are traveling from Manila, Puerto Galera is unrestricted.
Puerto Galera is unrestricted so a lot easier.
Get a hotel to apply for you or DIY. No sweat.

Still need the S-Pass travel coordination permit.

When are you going?

Probably can't do it until early 2023. Already booked other things from June til end of year.

All it needs is 3 or more arrivals on the same flight to have test +ve and the airline will be banned from operating the route for 7 days.
I will have to buy at least one return and one single(inbound) from two different airlines to increase my chance of no hassle return! 7 days of quarantine in another unwanted expenditure.
Why bother!

Back
Top Bottom