ACBs and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Sorry for yeat another dumb question from me...

What is the deal with ACBs? Are their use acceptable according to DIR practice? I did a search and did find a few threads but they did not really answer my question.

As was emphatically pointed out to me, ACB weight pockets are not DIR.

I dunno....

I've heard second hand from folks in courses that some GUE instructors are OK with them...I guess that does not really say if they are "DIR", but indicates the situation on the ground....or in the water....

But anyway, they're way costly, get in the way of stuff (I had a pair for a while and got rid of them). The inexpensive Xpockets do well. If I need more that the 9 or 10 pounds the pockets will hold, I need the heavy STA for singles, or the P weight for AL doubles.

If ACBs aren't DIR, why is it that JJ recommends them in his Fundamentals of Better Diving book?

I could care less if ACBs are DIR or not. I won't use them for the simple fact that they are an expensive alternative to the correct choices (weight belt or weighted STA or double tanks & V-weight).
As far as the "Some GUE instructors are okay with ACBs" and "If ACBs aren't DIR, why is it that JJ recommends them in his Fundamentals of Better Diving book?"

1) That is one thing that GUE should address with it's instructors. My instructor for DIR-F said they were not DIR. I stated above why I won't use them.

2) DIR evolves is all I can say. Are we going to still hold everything up to what a printed manual states? Even the PADI/NAUI/SSI OW manuals have been revised over the years/

jagfish:
But anyway, they're way costly, get in the way of stuff (I had a pair for a while and got rid of them). The inexpensive Xpockets do well. If I need more that the 9 or 10 pounds the pockets will hold, I need the heavy STA for singles, or the P weight for AL doubles.

That’s pretty much what I figured; my first impression was that the ACBs were way too big for what I needed (but I have never used ACBs, hence this thread)—thanks, Jag (and everyone).

I agree with everyone's assessment on the ACBs, I was just asking an honest question. :)

I did look at them close at one point, but found a DUI harness much more practical for my situation.

I think most people have no problem with them for simple rec diving, but you will soon find them getting in the way and complicating things.. at which point they go from being tolerated to very non-DIR.

jonnythan:
I think most people have no problem with them for simple rec diving, but you will soon find them getting in the way and complicating things.. at which point they go from being tolerated to very non-DIR.

Agreed. I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to use them with a canister light.

Speaking of which, I need to get a metal belt buckle before Friday. You have a spare I can borrow for the weekend? :D

Derek S:
Agreed. I couldn't imagine what it'd be like to use them with a canister light.

Speaking of which, I need to get a metal belt buckle before Friday. You have a spare I can borrow for the weekend? :D
Well, I will be using my spare metal one but you're welcome to borrow my spare plastic one off the weight belt I don't use :wink:

I assume this is for your can light?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom