ACB weight pockets, or what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I see another poster says ACB weight pockets are not DIR - but what is the solution if you need more weight? My 400g undersuit needs a 4kg V-weight plus another couple of kilos in ACB pockets in fresh water - even more for salt.

Is there a DIR problem with ACB pockets, and what is the solution (bearing in mind I'm already diving steel doubles so heavier tanks are not an option)?

and what is the solution

Weightbelt.

As far as their "problem" is, I'm not sure because I haven't used them. They may get in the way when fully kitted with lots of stuff. (For me that would be a can light and my suit heater, both of which go on the waist strap.) But when I am diving like that, I don't have a weight belt in fresh water, and my salt water belt only has a few pounds on it.

Looking at the Halcyon website, it says to put the canister and buckle against the BP, then thread the ACB next, over the top of it. But that's not the problem. It looks like the weight pocket could hinder access to the hip d-ring. I didn't see anything on the site about that issue.

Actually, I just checked again. It looks like they mount a d-ring on the outside of the left pocket, so it's probably not an issue.

I see another poster says ACB weight pockets are not DIR - but what is the solution if you need more weight? My 400g undersuit needs a 4kg V-weight plus another couple of kilos in ACB pockets in fresh water - even more for salt.

Is there a DIR problem with ACB pockets, and what is the solution (bearing in mind I'm already diving steel doubles so heavier tanks are not an option)?

I seem to recall recently reading a post that quoted JJ discussing his preference for ACB pockets. He developed them because he REALLY hates weight belts.

If JJ prefers them, I have a hard time seeing how they could not be DIR. :)

That said, I vastly prefer a good pocket weight belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom