Absurd Request for Shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USNMARS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have the most off the wall and honestly stupid request for the Shearwater Team....... get ready for this......... Can you please rename the software "Shearwater Cloud" make a release of the software that has a different name. I absolutely love my Shearwater products and I also dive for a living as a scientific diver. I work for the Federal Government, and federal IT is not going to allow us to use the software any more because of the "cloud" aspect of the name. They are stating that it poses a network vulnerability. I have fought this tooth and nail, but yet I am losing the battle. I am in love with shearwater and love the dive log that the software generates. Speaking to other divers in the community that work for academia, they are also facing the same battle and losing. There are a bunch of us facing the same issue. None of us want to stop using shearwater, can you make "shearwater log", or "shearwater professional" or something on that line... Please don't laugh, I know its beyond stupid.
1717160520764.png

I feel your pain.

Why not just log to your own phone?
Because we have to upload our dive logs to an internal diving site and it just streamlines the process.

Because we have to upload our dive logs to an internal diving site and it just streamlines the process.
But the process is possible?

You might want to reach out to Shearwater directly (phone, email). I rarely see direct responses from Sherwater here unlees they have initiated something.

Is it just the "cloud" name or would any software that could connect to another networked system be verboten?

I would think that there is a fairly large base of users who might be subject to the rules that, if it is just a name change, it might be to SW's benefit to get ahead of it. Especialy since the SW app is the only way to updat the software.

On the other hand, for logging, there are other good options with direct download capability.

Changing the name isn't going to help, they should be doing regular scans and would eventually pick up the cloud connection threat. If you're already using a network based logging system, I'd assume that software has been approved for use on the network. Getting ATOs (Authority to Operate) on government networks is a non-trivial exercise.

Ahhh... the government. Left or right, across the world, it's good to see that they all possess very little in the way of common sense.

Back
Top Bottom