Absurd dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I got through two pages of these postings before I ran out of steam. People slammed Force Fins, Sea Vision masks, flares, and cell phone cases.
Obviously, there are some great minds at work here with many more thousand of dives than I can ever hope for.
I tried Force Fins shortly after they came out in ithe early 80's. I should have worked with Al Gore to invent the internet earlier so I could read about how useless they are. I actually liked them, and because no one else bought them, I never paid more than $15 a pair for them. After about three years, they wouldn't give me the propulsion I needed, so gradually I drifted away from them. A couple of years ago, I tried a pair fo Foce Foils. They were pretty good, but I wasn't wild about the strap, so I eBayed them and actually got more for them used than I paid for them new. Must be a lot of morons out there.
Sea Vision masks - I can leave the color-correcting feature behind, but the -2.0 gauge readers are worth their weight in platinum for my 50+ aged eyes, especially at night. I've only been diving since 1961, so I will defer to the experts and deepsix my Sea Vision mask and not read my computer anymore at night.
Flares are worth their weight in gold when you need them. I have a set of Olin Matheson wax-sealed flares from the 60's that still work. They're not USCG-approved anymore, but they're for deep drift diving and only if I ever need it.
I've been stuck at sea twice and I really LOVE being rescued. It sure beats the alternative.
The cell phone case - I dived with a guy who also uses one. He shot something off the Juno Ledges that attracted at least one large curious bull shark. Surfacing, he called Captain Ray on the Narcosis for a quick pickup before he became chum. And Ray came roaring over the visible horizon pronto and got him.
I guess he should have saved his money according to you experts.
So as I said, I got through two pages of these post before I could not read another word of drivel. I'm glad we have all these experts out there to save us money. When someone says they're adding their two cents, a lot of times, that's a little overvalued.

Tom,
Nicely said - touche!

Divers are quite opinionated. I'm sure most guys would think my buddies and I are crazy for paying $200-400 for a nice vintage Aqua Master double hoser - but hey, WE like 'em! Guess thats all that counts! I don't dive to impress anyone. I'm not into the 'arms race' with anyone, and I'm not interested in the lastest fashion statement, latest model of BC, nor have a wallet full of C-cards.

I just dive for fun and buy what I think is good and thats it...

Enough said...

My dad got one of those twin hose Royal Aqua-Masters when I got my Calypso in 1966. When I went searching through the house for it in the 70's, I couldn't find it, and he never remembered getting rid of it.
I searched that house for hours over the decades looking for that reg. It's gotta still be in there somewhere. Everytime I go up to that house in CT, I do a quick look through.

Brands that got to go : TUSA, Dacor, OMS (bungee on a BC - give me a break)

Here to stay: DUI, Henderson, Poseidon, Force Fin, ScubaPro - hmm I like the Oceanic Shadow mask too. Lets not forget Halcyon & Dive Rite

Ok...I tried to keep away from this one but I just couldn´t help myself...
What´s wrong with a bungied wing (no, not a troll or rethorical question)?

I have one wing that is good for my doubles and ok for my singletank recreational dives. That saves me about 300$. I dive it "unbungied" for technical dives and bungie it to my hearts content for single tank dives.

I can inflate it orally (with the bungies), it doesent trap air and I´ve never gotten stuck with it yet (even on singletank wreck dives). It does keep my wing from tacoing. Should the bag be pierced the bungies may deflate the wing faster (at least in the beginning) but if you´re diving without a second BD or without being able to swim your rig up or even without a good buddy then the bungies are the least of your problems...

Odin (or anyone else) please explain whats bad about a bungiedwing. And before you start typing, if the argument you´re about to make is not something you´ve experienced first hand, don´t bother typing.

Odin61,
The argument of the bungee issue is highly opinionated and over-rated, has been going on for the last several years and likely will continue for many more. Take a closer look at Christina Young's web site and you'll find a awful lot of highly skilled and accomplished divers that dove the Doria on a OMS Bungee wing.

I know an awful lot of friends who dive the OMS wing for a variety of reasons that grazie42 just stated and have had nothing but great things to say about their wings. Yup, if you puncture your wing it theoretically may be harder to orally inflate a wing with bungee’s. This however has never been proven scientifically in a controlled study. Lets face it - HOW many times has one actually heard of anyone puncturing their wing during a dive? I've never personally ever heard of any...and, most divers diving a highly technical dive are wearing a drysuit anyway (redundant lift device). If we wanna belabor that thought should we now start carrying 2 masks, 2 sets of fins, an H-valve on a single tank, etc? And where do we draw the line? Should we have 3 instead of 2 regs? What about a bladder failure? Twin bladders then?

But hey, that’s just MY $.02.

while its a stretch for diving equipment, its still an accessory, how bout those hats, shirts, jackets etc. that say Nitrox diver. I was going to include the ones that say Instructor or DiveMaster too, but I can see some purpose in those at some point. These are all offerings by Trident.

Anything that is not DIR.... :rolleyes:

dvrgaryc:
That product is called a "SCUDA", meaning self-contained underwater drinking apparatus. They are still being sold today. You replace the mouthpiece on your second stage with the scuda mouthpiece that has a tube coming through the bite tab. You then fill the bag with fruit juice or water, wrap the bag around your primary hose, and you're all set. BTW, there's a on-off valve to keep the contents of the pouch out of your regulator when you're not using it.

Are these anything like those misters - I think thats what they were called - to prevent dry mouth. A small bottle placed in line between the second stage and hose that had a plunger to "mist" ones mouth???
I thought I'd heard that these underwater drinking thingys were taken off the market because stooges were putting booze in them???
Or is that another urban myth???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom