Absolute newbie on UW Photo/Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow...there's so much I need to learn about underwater photograph.

So let's say, for argument sake, I want to just stick to photography, and I want a dual Strobe setup one on each side of my Nauticam handle, what would be my best bet to rig something that is:
1. Not big and bulky
2. Not too cumbersome
3. Powerful enough strobes for good lighting of big subjects
4. Has focus light capability

Any suggestions is highly appreciated. Thank you.
What camera are you using? And thinking macro , wide or both?

That’s a nice camera. A friend uses it for shooting kitesurfing at water level. Loves it. With the nauti housing and the flexitray.

I'm on Sony RX100IV. Not much into macro yet. Just wide or isolated subject.
Just my opinion, but if buying strobes get good powerful ones, they will suit your set up and down the track if you upgrade the camera you won't need to upgrade the Strobes. I use Inon D2000's with my Canon G7X MK11 for wide and macro don't get the S 2000's . I also am a newbie and love it, lighting is very important UW, maybe start off with 1 good strobe and buy a wet wide angle lens.

Just my opinion, but if buying strobes get good powerful ones, they will suit your set up and down the track if you upgrade the camera you won't need to upgrade the Strobes. I use Inon D2000's with my Canon G7X MK11 for wide and macro don't get the S 2000's . I also am a newbie and love it, lighting is very important UW, maybe start off with 1 good strobe and buy a wet wide angle lens.
I was looking into Inon Z330. Heard good things about it. Probably I'll do 1 strobe first.

I was looking into Inon Z330. Heard good things about it. Probably I'll do 1 strobe first.
Yes they are very good, and a cheeky wide lens :)

For powerful strobes, your choice is basically between Inon Z-330 and Sea & Sea YS-D2. Z-330 is slightly more powerful and has a better beam spread (although due to the T-shaped arrangement of its primary bulbs, it produces a cross pattern rather than an even circle; a diffuser solves this but absorbs some light) but last I heard, it's still mostly back-ordered. If you want to save some money, previous-gen Z-240 and YS-D1 are frequently available used at a discount. If you're willing to wait, the new Retra strobes are slated to be released around May-June, although if past performance is any indication, this is bound to slip some, and then it will take them some time to ship all the pre-orders.

For powerful strobes, your choice is basically between Inon Z-330 and Sea & Sea YS-D2. Z-330 is slightly more powerful and has a better beam spread (although due to the T-shaped arrangement of its primary bulbs, it produces a cross pattern rather than an even circle; a diffuser solves this but absorbs some light) but last I heard, it's still mostly back-ordered. If you want to save some money, previous-gen Z-240 and YS-D1 are frequently available used at a discount. If you're willing to wait, the new Retra strobes are slated to be released around May-June, although if past performance is any indication, this is bound to slip some, and then it will take them some time to ship all the pre-orders.
The Z240 are very hard to come by here in the 2nd hand marjet. It's like nobody actually sell them off. I've been looking but still have yet to find them used. As for Sea & Sea, apparently their connectors are the weakest point and I've been advised to stay away from them.

Back
Top Bottom