About to break into the Solo World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully, your instructor has told you to get a mirror. In the course he/she should show you how to use it. Under water as well as on the surface. The first thing I tell my solo students they need is a mirror along with the other required items.
Is the mirror for anti-entanglement? Bubble/gear checks?
I've a signal mirror under my comp, but never touch it.

+10 on baby steps, toe in the water. This is not a race, nor a contest of guts.

As a new solo diver you will likely be very cautious. With all the redundancy and recent training your equipment is not likely to be an issue. My suggestion is to be very careful with your navigation. Take it easy until you get good at navigating your way back.

If a compass is your only navigation tool, then current can be an issue. I found that using bottom depth as one element of navigation can help you and placing a few rocks in formation can help you find your way back.

Best wishes and safe diving!

You should do it. It worked for Beyonce.

As a new solo diver you will likely be very cautious. With all the redundancy and recent training your equipment is not likely to be an issue. My suggestion is to be very careful with your navigation. Take it easy until you get good at navigating your way back.
Absolutely.

The link below also reinforces the proper mindset. It concerns overhead penetration so don't even think of doing it for now. Just read and appreciate how careful some solo divers are:

Navigation Aids ~ Gear & Training ~ New Jersey Scuba Diving

Thanks to the OP for his post.

I’m doing my solo course next week. Wasn’t entirely sure why as I’ve dived solo plenty, guided a reasonable amount with paying guests that were highly unlikely to save me in the event of an emergency (you never know tho) and am happy to de-kit underwater (altho I lost my camera and rig one time by doing this which still haunts me). Always carry redundant gas (pony or stage). My config is a minor GUE bastardisation but very similar.

But this was really just learning on the job.

For me I think I’m looking to complete aspects that are poor (navigation - altho I’m better underwater than land!) and gas planning (stopped that after dipping my toe into tech and CCR about 10 years ago).

I’m kinda taking what’s been said here. I’m going to go into it with a clear mind and no preconceptions. I’m not even sure my rig will be acceptable.

And it’s a long time since I used a compass. I carry one but don’t use it. As my instructor once said during my DM - if you need a compass you’ve already ****** up - plus most places I dive the currents are so strong if you lose visual contact with the reef or boat you just shoot your SMB as a compass will be to little avail. In other environments I can see a compass being more helpful but I try to remember all the little landmarks on the way in such dives. I still get lost sometimes.

In any event I pretty much consider all dives solo dives. So I’m looking forward to further learning so I can understand any gaps that I have (which will be many).

Let me know how you get on. I’ll post back here after my course and let you know what I personally learned.

Enjoy. Being self reliant and having redundancy is a great way to relax in the water.

And remember. Shears, not knives

Trim is a decision, if you are in control and it meets your needs, it is proper.

This is quite an important point. I latched onto horizontal trim as an alter to worship at.

It is, in most situations, a good posture to adopt.

However if you really need constant 3D views of your guests, sharks, interactions, etc the horizontal position is not necessarily the best.

Gotta remember DIR, GUE have been very helpful for cave diving environments.

But you’re not always diving in a cave and as mentioned above your position in the water column should depend on the context and situation.

Back
Top Bottom