About to break into the Solo World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Klieb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As the title states I am going to start my Solo diver course mid next month. What are the things I should be looking into and what should I expect. Any Knowledge that I can gain beforehand from those that have been doing it would be a great thing.

A good solo course should focus on teaching you how to independently plan and execute a solo dive safely including:
  • Dive planning - objectives, navigation, entry/exit, anticipation of potential issues
  • Gas planning and management - how much, what kinds, redundancy
  • Execution - all aspects of independently (ie without assistance) executing a dive safely
  • Equipment requirements - how to carry what you need with an appropriate amount of redundancy without becoming a Christmas tree
  • Self rescue planning - planning for and being equipped to deal with any likely emergency (entanglement, getting lost, physical issues that may arise during the dive, etc)
  • What types of dives should NOT be attempted solo
Be prepared to learn all of the above. Read as much as you can in this forum, keep an open mind and be prepared to learn.

I'm sure I'm missing some things but that is what comes to mind.

@tbone1004 I want to expand my knowledge of Scuba. I want to be able to learn how to be self sufficient in the water while diving. Not have to stress about finding a buddy when I am able to dive. Maybe venture into doing a little treasure hunting in the Texas rivers that are know for tubing. But mostly to be the best and safest diver I can be

A good solo course should focus on teaching you how to independently plan and execute a solo dive safely including:
  • Dive planning - objectives, navigation, entry/exit, anticipation of potential issues
  • Gas planning and management - how much, what kinds, redundancy
  • Execution - all aspects of independently (ie without assistance) executing a dive safely
  • Equipment requirements - how to carry what you need with an appropriate amount of redundancy without becoming a Christmas tree
  • Self rescue planning - planning for and being equipped to deal with any likely emergency (entanglement, getting lost, physical issues that may arise during the dive, etc)
  • What types of dives should NOT be attempted solo
Be prepared to learn all of the above. Read as much as you can in this forum, keep an open mind and be prepared to learn.

I'm sure I'm missing some things but that is what comes to mind.
I have read most of this forum(well the most recent last 8-12 months) and I always have an open mind for learning.

Hi @Mike Klieb

In what kind of environment will you be taking your solo class?

Do you already know your average RMV to use for gas planning? Are you already familiar with calculating your gas requirements?

What are you using for a redundant gas supply? Are you already comfortable switching back and forth between your primary and backup gas supply?

Are you already comfortable deploying and using your SMB with your primary and backup gas supply?

Are you comfortable doffing and donning your gear?

Hi @Mike Klieb

In what kind of environment will you be taking your solo class?

It will be most likely in the lakes in and around Houston

Hi @Mike Klieb
Do you already know your average RMV to use for gas planning? Are you already familiar with calculating your gas requirements?

I know my RMV varies between about .35 and .7 depending on what I am doing but that is with everyone. Mostly it stays about .35-.45 during a relaxed dive I get the higher number while I am helping with OW classes. I am somewhat familiar with the calculation learned and practiced it for my DM Course.

Hi @Mike Klieb
What are you using for a redundant gas supply? Are you already comfortable switching back and forth between your primary and backup gas supply?

I dont have a redundant supply as of yet I am looking at an AL 30 or 40 either of these should supply me with enough gas staying at 100' or above. Switching back and forth is something i will practice often after I get my redundant supply.

Hi @Mike Klieb Are you already comfortable deploying and using your SMB with your primary and backup gas supply?
I can deploy it without issue using my primary gas but not having my backup supply as yet I cant speak to that.

Hi @Mike Klieb
Are you comfortable doffing and donning your gear?

Donning and doffing gear on the surface and underwater and exchanging gear underwater is something that my instructor for my DM made sure that I could do that under stress without issue.

@Mike Klieb

I think your best bet is to go into the course as a blank slate and absorb what you can from the instructor. From there, come back on here and you can ask all of the questions you can imagine.

I would say that if you are going to invest, get an AL40 instead of an AL30. While the 40 is a few inches longer and about 4lbs heavier on land, it has the same negative buoyancy when full as the 30 so it behaves the same in the water and gets you 30% more gas. Alternatively, you can underfill the 40 and have it lighter in the water which is quite nice.

My advice is for after your course, not during. When you solo dive, there is no buddy to look you over and ask about things. There may be no one in the water to help address an oversight after-the-fact. Since over the years I've managed to variously jump in with air not turned on, even once hit the water without fins, and since I've left a pair of expensive fins on a dive boat when I headed back to catch a cruise ship, I do a little regimented check list before I splash, and sometimes before I exit the boat (replacement fins cost money).

1.) Mask (touch it).
2.) Regulator (touch it).
3.) BCD (touch it).
4.) Boots (point at them).
5.) Fins (point at them).
6.) Dive computer 1 (touch).
7.) Dive computer 2 (touch).
8.) Camera (touch).
9.) Air is on (take small breath off regulator; check that low pressure inflator hose is connected - inject a little air so I see BCD bladder gets gas (in Bonaire where gear may be stripped down in the evening for a rinse, it's easy to forget to hook it back up).
10.) If all is good, make an 'Okay' sign with right hand and nod. Ritualized process and confirmation is important.

Because laziness, distractibility and taking things for granted are inherent to the human condition for me, do the above preferably 3 times before hitting the water. Don't gloss over the process like 'yeah, yeah, yeah' - focus on it. Also, get in the habit of securing your tank cam bands tightly (you likely already do).

A diligent, methodical process you ingrain in yourself is key preparation.

And I'm not particularly anal retentive or that diligent by nature.

I went to Tulum and trained on the go razor sidemount with Geraldine in the cenotes for 3 days. Still the best dive training I have ever had.

then I did the PADI solo in Bonaire. That was so-so especially after the razor training.

Back
Top Bottom