About time for Service!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got in my buddies pool today to test out my new Seaquest Blackdiamond BC. I really like it. I did notice that my regs were probably due for a service. They worked great as I was swimming around but then I just laid on my back on the bottom and noticed that I was getting a little water in it. I guess this is a sign its time for a rebuild because i have never noticed this before. If this the first indication that its time to service them? I have owned them for about 2 years and only taken them on about 20 dives.

Because of component aging and constant stress on some components 1 year is the common interval.

Some wet breathing in an inverted position in not uncommon for most regulators and may not be cause for service in it's own right. Moer noteworthy it may not change after service. Did you regularly breathe in an inverted position in the past?

Pete

av8er23:
... but then I just laid on my back on the bottom and noticed that I was getting a little water in it. I guess this is a sign its time for a rebuild because i have never noticed this before. If this the first indication that its time to service them? I have owned them for about 2 years and only taken them on about 20 dives.

That's a sign the exhast valve is leaking, but it's not a sign you need a rebuild.
The leak or what is called "breathing wet", can be caused by a piece of sand ( or seaweed, or any other forign matter) caught under the lip of the check valve.

IP Creap is the best indicator of a first stage in need of a rebuild. second stages have a few different ways of telling you - it depends on the brand.

both my first and second stages are scubapro. If it is not a sign that is needs to be rebuilt then what action needs to be taken? It costs50 bucks at my LDS to rebuild both and I would like to hold off until the end of november if all possible. I plan on doing another 20 dive between now and then. But if I need to I will go ahead and service them.

I believe Scubapros are genenrally known to be fairly dry breathers. Dirt (deposits) on the exhaust valve and seats are primary suspect. Also check mouthpiece for leaks as well as and consider how you are holding your mouth. Even the diaphram or an external o-ring leak could be the problem.

A good soak in clean water may take care of the deposits. Do it on a tank and do some purging with the mouthpiece plugged with your thumb to get flow over the exhaust valve.

I have been sucessful in seeing leaking exhaust valves byt removing the mouthpiece and submerging just the front of the reg in a sink.

If you spent a lot of time upside down when you had the problem, it may just be a very slow leak that took some time for enough water to accumulate for you to feel it. I don't know if any of them are completely invulnerable to a drop or 2 leaking in as the exhaust valve closes. If you really have to stay in that position for a while, you may just have to learn ways to deal with it. Free drinks?

awap:
I
A good soak in clean water may take care of the deposits. Do it on a tank and do some purging with the mouthpiece plugged with your thumb to get flow over the exhaust valve.

Good standard practice after every dive day. Silt, sand and salt, none of it is you or your regulators friend.

pete

awap:
I believe Scubapros are genenrally known to be fairly dry breathers. Dirt (deposits) on the exhaust valve and seats are primary suspect. Also check mouthpiece for leaks as well as and consider how you are holding your mouth. Even the diaphram or an external o-ring leak could be the problem.

I have been sucessful in seeing leaking exhaust valves byt removing the mouthpiece and submerging just the front of the reg in a sink.

If you spent a lot of time upside down when you had the problem, it may just be a very slow leak that took some time for enough water to accumulate for you to feel it. I don't know if any of them are completely invulnerable to a drop or 2 leaking in as the exhaust valve closes. If you really have to stay in that position for a while, you may just have to learn ways to deal with it. Free drinks?

I am not exactly sure what you mean by purging? Doesn't the reg. have to be hooked up to the tank to acomplish this?

av8er23:
I am not exactly sure what you mean by purging? Doesn't the reg. have to be hooked up to the tank to acomplish this?

Yes, it has to be hooked to a tank. You press the purge button to allow air to flow from the tank thru the 2nd stage. Blocking the mouthpiece will for it thru the exhaust valve helping remove and dirt or deposit that might be interfering with the valve seating. Do not press the puirge button if the reg is not on a tank under pressure. That could allow water to enter the LP hose where it can work its way into areas of the 1st stage that should not see any water.

Back
Top Bottom