? about the Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety stop is on rec mode only, regardless of gas choice. Just FYI the high conservancy setting is VERY conservative. I use medium which is a GF of 40/85

The pun was that the screen "caught your eye", yes?

My avatar pic is me riding out a "deco" stop with the Perdix conservancy on high while everyone else was still well within NDL

Yep,that was the pun.Sometimes I come up with stuff like that without even thinking.
Thanks for the information on the Perdix. I've been looking to upgrade mainly for clarity and brightness of a screen over what I am using right now,and the user friendly features since I have a hard time with buttons.Researching,leads me to the Perdix.

If you are ok with a smart phone, the Cosmiq might be worth a look. All settings done on the app, much easier than most button driven menus.

We seem to be posting simultaneously so here's the readability video.

I do love my Perdix though.

If you are ok with a smart phone, the Cosmiq might be worth a look. All settings done on the app, much easier than most button driven menus.

We seem to be posting simultaneously so here's the readability video.

I do love my Perdix though.

Yep,we are posting at the same time.That's a good video.
I was ok until you mentioned Smart Phone. I never had one,don't even know how to use one.I was 65 years old before I even got a Trac Phone. What does that tell you? lol

Cosmiq is more conservative than the Suunto's though. I'm working with them now to rewrite the algorithm to make it usable, though their progressive setting now should be comparable to the 40/85 setting on the Perdix

Cosmiq is more conservative than the Suunto's though. I'm working with them now to rewrite the algorithm to make it usable, though their progressive setting now should be comparable to the 40/85 setting on the Perdix

Does that mean that the High setting on the Perdix is even more conservative then the Sunnto?..more so then the 40/85 setting?

the Cosmiq progressive setting is roughly comparable with the 30/80 setting on a Buhlmann algorithm with gradient factors, and that is roughly close to the medium setting on a Perdix. Cosmiq on conservative vs Suunto is more conservative, and on normal is comparable to the Oceanic Pz+ per a chart that I received from Deepblue showing NDL's of computers they tested. Something is a bit weird on the first dive though, so this is all on dive 2.

Keep in mind that 40/85 is not that conservative of a profile. People get all tied up in NDL's without understanding their theoretical tissue saturation levels and the dive tables all push those levels very close to a theoretical maximum. Cutting back on the saturation levels results in shorter NDL times, but is the reason that I think every serious diver should take at least a basic decompression theory class so they can run the saturation levels they want physiologically, and if you end up in a 5-10 minute mandatory backgas deco stop vs a 3-5 minute "safety stop" you aren't going to worry that you got bent. Same dive time at the bottom, but instead of worry about NDL's, you plan your dive, know roughly how much deco you're going to have, and a 5 minute deco stop to keep your tissues at 80% of their loading vs 95% of their loading isn't the end of the world

the Cosmiq progressive setting is roughly comparable with the 30/80 setting on a Buhlmann algorithm with gradient factors, and that is roughly close to the medium setting on a Perdix. Cosmiq on conservative vs Suunto is more conservative, and on normal is comparable to the Oceanic Pz+ per a chart that I received from Deepblue showing NDL's of computers they tested. Something is a bit weird on the first dive though, so this is all on dive 2.

Keep in mind that 40/85 is not that conservative of a profile. People get all tied up in NDL's without understanding their theoretical tissue saturation levels and the dive tables all push those levels very close to a theoretical maximum. Cutting back on the saturation levels results in shorter NDL times, but is the reason that I think every serious diver should take at least a basic decompression theory class so they can run the saturation levels they want physiologically, and if you end up in a 5-10 minute mandatory backgas deco stop vs a 3-5 minute "safety stop" you aren't going to worry that you got bent. Same dive time at the bottom, but instead of worry about NDL's, you plan your dive, know roughly how much deco you're going to have, and a 5 minute deco stop to keep your tissues at 80% of their loading vs 95% of their loading isn't the end of the world

Thanks for this explanation.It is quite helpful. I did most of my diving back in the 70's and 80's then life and jobs got in the way so that ended my diving career and also after becoming a PADI instructor.Of course,you know back then,all we went buy were a watch,depth gauge and dive tables.I did make several deco stops along the way but fast forward to today,I just got back into diving and at almost 70 years old,all this computer stuff is quite new to me.I was fortunate enough to meet up with Jim Lapenta and he helped me along with a good pool checkout.Since then,this year,I have made 28 dives and am back to enjoying the heck out of it.I just want to be very safe doing it at my age.
Thanks tbone

Jim is a dealer for the Cosmiq, and realistically at this point I wouldn't have a problem using the Cosmiq as a strictly recreational computer. I won't be buying one for myself until they change a few things, but we are getting there, slowly but surely

Jim is a dealer for the Cosmiq, and realistically at this point I wouldn't have a problem using the Cosmiq as a strictly recreational computer. I won't be buying one for myself until they change a few things, but we are getting there, slowly but surely

That's good to know. I'll look closer at the Cosmig then also.
I did buy a BP/Wing from Jim and that was after I had already bought a SP Vest BC. I just need more dives on the wing and have been diving the SP BCD more lately because I am having a little trouble with positioning my Mako weight belt.Seems my little belly is keeping it to low and the waist strap on the wing is right on top of it.I think I might have to let out the crouch strap a little more.It's been awhile since I was at Jims so I forgot a few things about it.There isn't anyone in my neighborhood that dives a bp/wing.

you'd be surprised, there's quite a few that do. that said, having the waist strap overlay on the weight belt isn't that much of a problem unless it is uncomfortable for you.Nothing safety wise that would be a problem

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom