About the necklace config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
heh, they actually have those special zip-tie tensioner things that I think use the ridges on the tie to pull it through.
Exactly - something like this:

I also have one that tensions and trims off the excess end right at the clamp, but it is a little larger and bulkier. Note that I had this long before I ever became a diver, though.

limeyx:
yeah, well, I only attached 1 myself (that came off in my car as I grabbed my longhose a bit vigorously to get the rig off)

the look on my face must have been priceless on the U/W one though.
My hose felt like it was snagged on a rock or something, so I gave it a gentle tug and the mouthpiece fell right off, but because I still had the mouthpiece *in* my mouth, it took a second to realize what had happened!

Thankfully, i calmly put my backup in, replaced the mouthpiece and continued diving.
I had mine come off on the last dive of fundies. Instructor gets my attention, and 'says': "watch me, I have a leak in my valve, I am shutting it down". I go: 'Okay' and he shuts down his valve and signals OOG. I donate long hose and go to back up. My instructor looks at me, sucks some gas and hands me back the long hose. I am wondering why, and then I take a breath.... water, I exhale a bit more 'to clear the reg' and still water.... grab the long hose and he is off to another team to get some gas.

Long story short, the shop tech had put on my bungee and didn't tie the zip tie tight enough.... lesson learned: do it your self and pull hard to make sure it is secure.

I have moved away from zip ties for attaching mouthpieces. I have seen and heard of too many failures. I currently use stainless steel safety wire which wil never corrode and has a strength that far exceeds that of tie wraps. It is cheap, easy to apply, and easy to remove with pliers. The only potential draw back is that if twisted too tightly, it could cut the mouthpiece. To me this seems like an optimal gear configuration and certainly safer than a zip tie.

In the real world. losing a mouth piece is not that uncommon and just last year I saw a guy almost drown when his mouthpiece fell off and he immediately sucked in a lot of water at depth.

You wrap it once around and pull and twist with pliers and tighten the loop and then cut with pliers. I would post a picture but this site now makes it so hard that it seems they don't want any photo's posted

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom