About the necklace config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is another option, for those who don't like DIY, and it comes in colors.

I use surgical tubing, and replace it when I rebuild the second stage. I also periodically examine the tubing for deterioration.

Greg Barlow

TSandM:
This is another option, for those who don't like DIY, and it comes in colors.
I saw those, my lds came back with some from DEMA. I put a reg in it, but it is not really secure, the reg is pulled out quite easily.

leah:
Just wondering about the necklace for the 2nd reg.

What size surgical tubing?

How far below my chin should the necklace/ reg hang?

I use 1/8" bungee cord, but I may switch to silicon tubing - I'm thinking 1/4" would work better for that.

You need maybe 3' max of bungee or tubing, though the necklace will probably only be less than 2' if you use the knots at ends method. It should be short enough that you can pick the reg up with your mouth alone.

cmalinowski:
True, but they still have their purge in a "non-standard" place.

If you want to wear that poseidon regulator of death strapped around your neck with surgical tubing, that's fine. But don't drag me into your sick little world :D

Chris

actually I have scubapros and I haven't seen a poseiden reg in about 10 years. MIght have something to do with cost and service :wink:

or maybe they really are killing machines :eyebrow:

DIR-Atlanta:
I've had surgical tubing fail - usually right under the zip-tie, which cuts into the material, and weakens it over time. I've never had any issues with chafing, but have had it get caught in my hair (which was longer at the time than it is now). Overall, I've been happier with the elastic shock cord.

Also, with the shock cord, you can use the same material for multiple things - reg necklace, computer and/or compass boot, etc. So that's one less thing to purchase and have to carry around in your "spares" kit.

I've had 3 necklaces come off on me (well, 2 necklaces and a mouthpiece) in all cases though due to the ziptie coming off, not the bungee.

Luckily two were on land. And in case you think it's just me, I had only applied one of the ties -- one was from the factory (popped off at 100 feet on the way down to a tech dive) and other was a "friend" -- who I am doing OOA drills with tonight :D

limeyx:
I've had 3 necklaces come off on me (well, 2 necklaces and a mouthpiece) in all cases though due to the ziptie coming off, not the bungee.
That's kind of interesting. People talk all the time about zip-ties being more prone to failure, but I have never had that happen with my mouthpiece zip-tie. Of course, I replace mine fairly regularly, so maybe that's why it hasn't been a problem for me.

On the other hand, I have seen 2-3 failures of necklaces or other items made from surgical tubing, all from cracking/rot or cutting from an attached zip-tie.

limeyx:

Luckily two were on land. And in case you think it's just me, I had only applied one of the ties -- one was from the factory (popped off at 100 feet on the way down to a tech dive) and other was a "friend" -- who I am doing OOA drills with tonight :D

Stroketastic! Dude you need to go to the gym and bulk up so you can pull those suckers tight :D

rjack321:
Stroketastic! Dude you need to go to the gym and bulk up so you can pull those suckers tight :D
I attach mine with a tensioning device, which I always carry as part of my Save-A-Dive kit, along with a handful of spare ties - simple, effective, and doesn't take up much space.

rjack321:

yeah, well, I only attached 1 myself (that came off in my car as I grabbed my longhose a bit vigorously to get the rig off)

the look on my face must have been priceless on the U/W one though.
My hose felt like it was snagged on a rock or something, so I gave it a gentle tug and the mouthpiece fell right off, but because I still had the mouthpiece *in* my mouth, it took a second to realize what had happened!

Thankfully, i calmly put my backup in, replaced the mouthpiece and continued diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom