About the necklace config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leah:
What size surgical tubing? How far below my chin should the necklace/ reg hang?
Surgical tubing isn't really used for that any more - elastic bungee cord is preferred now. As to the length, I have my necklace adjusted so that I can touch my chest with my chin, and just tuck it behind the mouthpiece of the backup second stage.

There's a good article on this (with pictures) at DIR-diver.com.

DIR-Atlanta:
Surgical tubing isn't really used for that any more - elastic bungee cord is preferred now.
Why?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Contrary to what others say. I use surgical tubing, and have been for years. Yes technically it fails before bungee. But after having the current necklace on my backup reg for 3 years.... it still goes. Like with all equipment, you push, pull, poke, twist and shake all equipment parts to make sure they still work before every dive. If it comes to fail, I go in my little black box and get the spare one.

Why do I have tubing? It doesnt chaff my neck and cheeks when I don't wear a hood in warm water. Failure rate......0% in 3 years. I have never seen a dry-rotted surgical tube come to think of it. It is all relative.

I agree with the chafing bit! When diving in warm waters I change the necklace to the tubing. The cold water rig and doubles have the bungee.

Meng_Tze:
I have never seen a dry-rotted surgical tube come to think of it. It is all relative.

I have but I agree; in the end using bungie or tubing isn't a deal breaker. One reason that I use bungie is that I can pack more of it in my tool box than I can tubing.

The old 100% natural rubber stuff definately dry rots, at least it did in my high school chemistry lab.

The new stuff has silicon in it and is much more resistant to dry rot.

This is kinda like the Posidian reg thing. Yeah maybe 25 years ago those regs failed "off" but the current crop, despite being a theoretical "downstream" design won't do that. At least that what those who use and service them have told me.

Alot of DIR wisdom on these things hasn't totally kept up with the times. Most isn't all that critical anyway.

I use 1/8" bungie and it doesn't chafe my manly cheeks :D YMMV.

rjack321:
This is kinda like the Posidian reg thing. Yeah maybe 25 years ago those regs failed "off" but the current crop, despite being a theoretical "downstream" design won't do that. At least that what those who use and service them have told me.
True, but they still have their purge in a "non-standard" place.

If you want to wear that poseidon regulator of death strapped around your neck with surgical tubing, that's fine. But don't drag me into your sick little world :D

Chris

Meng_Tze:
Why do I have tubing? It doesnt chaff my neck and cheeks when I don't wear a hood in warm water. Failure rate......0% in 3 years. I have never seen a dry-rotted surgical tube come to think of it. It is all relative.
I've had surgical tubing fail - usually right under the zip-tie, which cuts into the material, and weakens it over time. I've never had any issues with chafing, but have had it get caught in my hair (which was longer at the time than it is now). Overall, I've been happier with the elastic shock cord.

Also, with the shock cord, you can use the same material for multiple things - reg necklace, computer and/or compass boot, etc. So that's one less thing to purchase and have to carry around in your "spares" kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom