AAdvantage Miles & US Airways Dividend Miles to be combined within 30 days.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wife and I each just receieved 50,000k dividend miles for US Airways credit cards. Glad to see they'll soon be combined with the 60,000 AAdvantage miles we each received last month for Citi Advantage Credit cards.

Two rountrip First Class Hawaii tickets for a few clicks on a website.

:D

I have both cards as well. They have a $95 annual fee but each of us getting the free checked bag pays for that. I also like the zone 1 boarding. I was hoping I could get rid of my older US Air card and the AA card would provide those benefits on both airlines but I don't think that is going to be the case. From what I can tell, even after combining the programs, you need the US Air card for the perks on that airline and the AA card for the perks on that one.

From what I can tell, even after combining the programs, you need the US Air card for the perks on that airline and the AA card for the perks on that one.

This is not accurate moving forward. Previously yes, while in the process of merging. But in a few weeks, you will only need the AA card, as US will no longer exist. In fact your US Airways card will no longer exist after a few more weeks. It will be replaced in the mail by an AAdvantage Aviator card.

Barclays do not have permission to issue AA cards (Citi exclusive). But they do have permissions to give an AA card to all those holding a US airways card at the deadline next month. So your US card will soon be replaced by an AA card anyway. They have 4 versions. The no fee version (AAdvantage Aviator) will not get the free bags from what I see. The low fee version (Aviator Red) is similar to now with free bags and a mileage redemption discount, but without the companion fare cert. The Aviator Silver will have $195 fee, and still get the companion cert plus other benefits. Also a blue card that is even more basic somehow. Don't know much about it.

The biggest point of this upcoming deadline is that US miles have some nice sweet spots. For example, you could go to Asia and add a week in Europe on the way for no extra miles. Or fly from the Caribbean to Asia in business class for 20k miles less than from the mainland US. Many more sweet spots exist. If you had plans to use US miles, you need to book ASAP before the only option is AAdvantage routings and rules. Also do not be surprised to see a devaluation of miles soon after this merger is completed for the miles programs. United and Delta had big devaluations last year so look for AA to follow along now. Domestic coach and first miles should remain the same, but look for overseas trips, especially in business and first, to increase in cost.

For anyone with a current USAir card, it makes sense to apply for an American card right now. You will get 50,000 bonus miles that will be combined with your USAir miles, and the first year fee is waived. After the USAir accounts from Barclay are converted, you can just close that account. You will end up with the same credit card, but with an additional 50,000 miles.

I'm not sure I quite understand the post. If you're saying apply for the Barclay AA card directly, I'm pretty sure that is not allowed. You can convert your US card, but it won't come with a bonus afaik. If you're talking about the Citi AA card, it will be around awhile. So in my opinion, no rush to get it right now based on the merger. The reason to get the Citi AA card now is that 50k miles is a bit more than usual, cuz it often is around 40k miles. And remember it requires a $3000 spend for the miles. So you can get it if you want, and they waive the annual fee, but it will be available a long time and has the spend.

The US card though, for anyone who is open to getting cards and comfortable, is an easy 50k miles for $90 (you pay the annual fee on first statement). It is one of the few cards left that gives you miles without requiring a spend. I had both parents, and several family members get this card this spring before it goes away. I have had 2 myself of this card. If you applied for it more than about 6 months ago, I'd actually apply for another one of the same card rather than the Citi card.

Just my .02.

OK. So I just got off the phone with the folks at AAdvantage Citi Card. They told me that until the airline is fully merged, and they have no ideas when it will all be complete, you will need to maintain two separate cards for the perks on American and US Air. The Citi card will get you the priority boarding and free bags on American but not the US Air brand of planes and visa versa. Even though you will get a card from Barclay (US Air) that will now show the AAdvantage symbol, the perks are only good for the US Air planes. So until they fully complete the deal and at some point change all the names to American, you need both cards.

OK. So I just got off the phone with the folks at AAdvantage Citi Card. They told me that until the airline is fully merged, and they have no ideas when it will all be complete, you will need to maintain two separate cards for the perks on American and US Air. The Citi card will get you the priority boarding and free bags on American but not the US Air brand of planes and visa versa. Even though you will get a card from Barclay (US Air) that will now show the AAdvantage symbol, the perks are only good for the US Air planes. So until they fully complete the deal and at some point change all the names to American, you need both cards.

With all due respect to anyone who works for Citi, this is again not accurate. The card benefits are scheduled to merge, just like the miles programs, within the next few weeks. AA dot com has a page that outlines all of this. Now of course there are hiccups in these processes, and if it doesn't hurt to keep both cards then do it for now, but you should be able to get those benefits across airlines soon.

Last edited:
With all due respect to anyone who works for Citi, this is again not accurate. The card benefits are scheduled to merge, just like the miles programs, within the next few weeks. AA dot com has a page that outlines all of this. Now of course there are hiccups in these processes, and if it doesn't hurt to keep both cards then do it for now, but you should be able to get those benefits across airlines soon.

I just went to the American Airlines website and it backs up what you are saying. It shows the card I have, explains the benefits I have and the benefits I will be able to have on the US Air flights. I think they used the term "very soon" so I think I can get rid of the extra US Air card before the annual fee comes due.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom