A wetsuit, a weight belt, and a pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patrick Star

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings Divers,

Now that I have a wetsuit, my LDS has loaned me a weight belt and has suggested I can practice finning in my swimming pond. It would also be a good workout. Reading all of the very informative posts on buoyancy and trim, it made me start wondering if there was any practice I could do with just that equipment to help me on the buoyancy/trim front. Or any other aspect of diving with full gear.

Using just my mask, snorkel, fins, wetsuit and weight belt, is there anything productive I could do in my own back yard? By "productive" I mean furthering skills that would be utilized when actually diving.

Thank you for any suggestions.

BE VERY CAREFUL OF HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOU USE.

Make sure you are not negatively boyount.

A lot of people struggle with mask removal so stand in the pool put your face in the water and remove your make with JUST YOUR FACE in the water put your mask back on (note I recommend eyes closed) lean up remove mask to drain it.

I'm not sure if you could really work on frog on the surface but you could do at least a partial of it.

Just swimming though is great for you.

Thanks, Formernuke. Between the 1.5 mm, the 5 mm and the hooded vest, I am pretty certain I am a cork. There are ample shallow areas for me to test things before I get in over my head (arr arr!) I will definitely practice mask removal. I has certainly been a while, but I recall taking to it pretty easily during my prior training.

Use just enough weight to offset the buoyancy of the suit, don’t worry about trim and just work on finning build those muscles and get then ready for diving. Get that down and work on trim when you have the rest of the gear on, one thing at a time.

Using just my mask, snorkel, fins, wetsuit and weight belt, is there anything productive I could do in my own back yard? By "productive" I mean furthering skills that would be utilized when actually diving.

Thank you for any suggestions.

In my opinion, surface swimming in mask + fins + snorkel + weightbelt, and learning and/or refining snorkeling/skin diving skills will absolutely make you a better scuba diver! How deep is your "swimming pond"? Is it deep enough for you to safely practice surface dives? Is there an area where you can safely practice surface entries?

A word of caution: Don't practice these skills alone. Either have a "lifeguard" watching you, or--even better--have a buddy there snorkeling/skin-diving with you, and employ recommended safe skin-diving practices (e.g., have one of you remain on the surface when the other one dives below the surface).

What is the visibility of your "diving pond"? Any obstructions or possible entanglements below the surface that you can't see well enough to avoid? Fishing line or wire leaders? Power cables?

Also, is there a dock with shore power running to it? (These always give me extreme pause!)

Maybe add a suitable dive knife. You would wear one if you were snorkeling/skin-diving in open water.

Good Luck,

rx7diver

You can practice swimming underwater, build your leg strength by kicking face down and on your back, practice duck dives, practice equalization, practice mask clearing (a challenge might be how many you can do on one breath), timed snorkel swims or distance swims. Practice ditch and don of weight belt at surface and underwater. knife removal and replacement practice (I also would carry a knife in a pond).

Are your recommendations for carrying a diving knife based on possible obstructions/entanglements underwater? I dug the pond myself and it is spring fed. It is pretty pristine, and about 15' deep at the deepest part. I have two aerators in it that run every night for 8 hours,, so the water is very clear. And there is a good spot to practice entries too. Great suggestions. Thank you.

I generally carry a knife almost any time I go in the water. Sometimes it feels silly, but I view it as an important safety device. Is it possible that anyone has snuck into your pond at night and gone fishing? If so, you might dive down 15 feet, get entangled with a treble hook and be tethered by spider wire fishing line to a log - while you hold your breath. Maybe I worry too much?

Maybe I worry too much?

Maybe just a little. It really is just a natural swimming pool, with a smooth clay bottom.

Are your recommendations for carrying a diving knife based on possible obstructions/entanglements underwater?

Yes, for snorkeling/skin-diving in open water, a dive knife (that has a built-in line cutter and a serrated portion on its blade) is recommended, to maybe cut yourself or your buddy free of entanglements. Maybe surgical shears, instead, if there could be wire leaders.

However, in this particular case, I am recommending you wear a dive knife just to get used to wearing it. It will feel a bit strange at first, whether you wear it on the inside of your calf or on your forearm or an your upper arm--wherever--when you are swimming and learning/practicing snorkeling/skin-diving skills.

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom