A wetsuit, a weight belt, and a pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your encouragement, very much.

Yesterday was my maiden voyage into the pond. I have spent countless hours swimming in it, but never when it was 50 degrees outside, or while wearing a wetsuit. It went well.

Just donning everything by myself (1.5m suit, 5m suit, hooded vest, boots, etc.) was a worthwhile exercise. By the time I do my first shore dive, I want it to be second nature.

The weight belt loaned to me by my LDS seemed to be just about dead on, but I would appreciate your thoughts. When I was vertical in the water, if I exhaled completely, I would sink down to about eye level. It was enough weight to keep me from just splashing around on the surface.

I learned that my right hip is stronger than my left. While flutter kicking facing down, I would consistently turn to the left. Time to focus on symmetry. I will try to find some videos that show a proper frog kick so I can learn that. Seems like an important thing to know when you want to be careful not to disturb the bottom.

Doffing solo was also a worthwhile exercise, as was rinsing everything with tap water and properly drying it.

Practice, practice, practice...

Next time, I will work in mask clearing.

It ain't the ocean, but it's in my backyard.
Why don't you do laps at your local pool? Fins/mask and snorkel. Build up stamina. Diving will become second nature. Practice a giant stride while you're there. No passive inhaling on the snorkel. No hyperventilating either.

That is his local pool.:wink:

Train the way you dive, great concept.
Agree. A pool or a pond Mr. Webb....

Back
Top Bottom