A weighty question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by scubakat
Yes, I received the same data from him & was puzzled when the LDS told me they were discontinued.

I don't know then. try emailing him or perhaps he'll stumble onto this thread.

My other concern is for consistently getting a fill to standard operating pressure. Local boats and sometimes shops have trouble getting even AL80's up to 3000 psi, let alone the 3500 for an HP.

I understand that, but what I'm saying is that even if you can't get them filled to the rated 3500PSI. You'd still have 70cf with the HP80, 87cf with the HP100, and 105cf with an HP120 at 3000PSI. Even if you could only fill them to 2640PSI (rated PSI of LPs) you'd have 64cf with the HP80, 80cf with the HP100 and 96cf with the HP120. Course with LPs you could overfill them and have more air, but at the cost of more weight.

Man... Ok, so I went back to my log book, & the last dive that I did with the LP80 & a 7mm 2pc wetsuit I wore a whopping 36 pounds. I'm wearing at least 40 with the Catalina AL80 that I've been using for the last few weeks.

Ahh, essentially 14mm of neoprene then. Well in the torso area anyway. I suspect I'd need around that to sink those puppies. But I don't plan on finding out. :) What you need is a drysuit. I believe that if I were you, I'd invest that $600 or so that I was going to spend on tanks in a drysuit and use the tanks I had/rent until I could do better.

Originally posted by Mverick
I hate to ask but here goes. Are you sure your not overweighted on your weight belt?
With my drysuit and an Aluminum 80 I wear 30lbs. With a HP 100 steel. I wear 24lbs. And I'm overweighted on both. I like a little extra though. 40lbs on a weight belt is alot.

At the end of your dive when your on the surface you should be neutral. Not sink. With nothing in your BC. A little air in the BC to help keep your head above water if fine but that's after this test. But with nothing in the BC you should still float a little. With the tank at 500psi or so.

Well, I just pulled the weight out of my weight pouches & find that I had 34 lb. My last dive with that weight I was too light; I couldn't stay down for my safety stop with an AL80 & 1000psi at 15fsw.

-kate

Originally posted by Warhammer
Ahh, essentially 14mm of neoprene then. Well in the torso area anyway. I suspect I'd need around that to sink those puppies. But I don't plan on finding out. :) What you need is a drysuit. I believe that if I were you, I'd invest that $600 or so that I was going to spend on tanks in a drysuit and use the tanks I had/rent until I could do better. [/B]

Yes, I have a not-so-drysuit that I am in the process of replacing, another arduous decision! My first dive back in neoprene was not very pleasant. :(

-kate

OK guys,

Where is this coming from?
If you shop can't fill to 3500 psi, he needs to get out of the busisness or get rid of his Craftsman air compressor. Any shop and all of the portable air compressors I have seen and read about will give a minium of 3500 psi.

If you are not getting a full fill you need to take that up with the shop. You are probably getting a full fill at the time the tank is filled then when it "settles' out or cools down is where you are loosing your pressure.

I run an air station during the summer and our old Bauer will put out 6000 psi. There are no short fills at Iguana Don's air station.

ID

At don's station you get 21% oxygen and 79% hot air at 6000psi...Way to go funky lizard....Shake that tail..lol
Cheers ears,
The gasman

I like my double PST 95's. The weight is very managable , even when on a rocking boat. I use 10lbs of weight with my Abyss dry suit and BARE 200g underwear.

Mike

Well I just want to say thanks to y'all... Yesterday I plunked down a wad of crumpled US bills to aquire 2 PST LP-80's. I found them at another LDS & they even put DIN valves on for no extra charge. At their sale prices I'm tempted to get a pair of HP 80's too!

So fewer worries about getting the shorted on a fill..

-kate

Back
Top Bottom