A weighty question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
I am having problems adjusting the amount of weight I need in order to go to depth in a 6.5mm full wetsuit. I am going to be doing my OW cert dives this coming weekend and we practiced last Sat. in the pool. I ended up with 3lb weights in each pocket of my BC for a total of 12lbs, and on my belt 16lbs. This seemed to work only after I removed the wetsuit jacket! Then while practicing the emergency ditch of our weight belts, we were to retrieve it in the shallow end and redon the belt. Well---I could go down and pick it up but ended up doing back flips and rolls out of control. I finally gave up so frustrated and stood up in the shallow end putting it on. Any suggestions, weight configurations, technique, etc.? I would appreciate input.

Diving is so cool I feel so free when I am gliding along in the water. Born to dive.

Seaangel,

Some divers resort to wts around their ankles--and they can be purchased from most dive shops.

Better yet--dive the Caribbean where that 6.5mm wet suit can be used as insulation for an air conditioner! But, maybe the ankle wts are a better answer????

Joewr

Hey SeaAngel,

First off relax, and slow down. Some of these skills actually require skill and coordination that only comes with practice. When you finally get it, you will be sitting on the bottom of the pool (top of the world just doesn't seem to work here).

Secondly, not ALL of your weights need to be in your weight belt. They can go on your tank, your BC(as you have done), even your ankles as someone said. You don't have to be able to ditch ALL of these weights at one time. Nope, in a bail out situation you only want to become somewhat positively bouyant.

A third technique that seems to help some from "tumbling" is to flair your legs out wide. This will give some water resistance to the tumbling effect.

Time will also see the weight you need to submerse you decrease, as you learn to not hyperventilate before you dive. You might consider a steel tank as another (more exspensive) alternative.

You are learning a lot of new skills in a new environment with lots of gear. Don't be so hard on yourself!

As others have said, it takes time to master these skills... give yourself that time. Remember learning to ride a bicycle? That took time didn't it? But before you knew it, you were riding along as if you'd done it your whole life!

1) In that much neoprene it is not uncommon to require that much weight to get neutrally bouyant. As has already been said, not all of it has to be around your waist. Options: ankle wts, tank wts, a steel tank. All of these distribute the wt along your body, which in turn will make it easier for you to maneuver.

2) Take control. People who are new to the sport tend to let the equipment get the upper hand. Remember, it's just gear... don't let IT be the master... YOU master IT! Relax. As using scuba gear becomes more familiar, your confidence will go up, and those "problems" will disappear.

3) When you become more comfortable in the water, you'll find that you can start shedding some weights. New divers tend to use a lot of air, and that makes you more bouyant. Later, as you become more experienced, you'll find yourself needing less lead to become neutrally bouyant... and off it will come.

4) Taking off/on the weightbelt while at the bottom. This can be done a couple of ways:

I (a) undo the belt. (b) maintaining a firm grip on the end in your right hand, pass the other (buckle) end behind your back so that BOTH ends are in your right hand. (c) pass the left back behnd you and return the buckle end to the front & do it up. The buckle should be in your left hand. *Check to make sure you have no hoses or other gear caught UNDER the belt.

II (a) Take off the belt. (b) Maintaining contact, open it & lie it on the bottom so that the inside of the belt is facing you and strap is in your right hand. (c) Keeping contact with the belt, lie down on it and roll over left side until the belt is lying over you. The buckle should be at your left hand. Just do it up. *Check to make sure you have no hoses or other gear caught UNDER the belt.

Voila! :)

The PRIMARY thing to remember when taking off/on ANYHING underwater, is to ALWAYS MAINTAIN A HOLD ON IT. With the wt belt, another thing to remember is that THE BUCKLE SHOULD ALWAYS BE IN YOUR LEFT HAND. (Right hand release.)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me. :)

Take care, eh?!

~SubMariner~

seaangel,

My wife Debbielou had problems with Backflips,Rollover and her feet comong up in front of her til she went over backwards and to the side. She was getting very frustrated. A pair of 1lb ankle weights solved the problem. However, her legs cramp easily and more weight on the ankles doesn't help with this.

Tavi:tree:

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions. I have an opportunity this evening to practice some before we leave on Friday to head for OW cert dives. I will be practicing some of these suggestions. I will let you know how it went.

Hi, I am back from my practice session and things went really well. I have figured out my weights, and did not have any problem descending or ascending. I went through all the drills. I still have some difficulty in putting my weight belt on underwater, but I made it much closer than before. I did get it around and did not flip or tumble. I just couldn't seem to latch it. At any rate I feel soooo much better. Next comes the written test tommorrow night. I am not too worried about that. Again thanks. :)

Sounds like you're getting the hang of things.

Try not to dwell so much on this stuff... you'll psych yourself out.

Reeeelax! Have FUN!!! :)

~SubMariner~

Good going Seaangel,

You will be fien - just remember that the more you do it - the better it get - in that line of thinking, I find it hard to believe that I'm typing here wen I could be out there getting wet...

Oh, and think about a dry suit (hard) you'll LOVE that!

Terkel

I made it! I am now a certified Open Water diver! I was able to retrieve my weights and put them on, it did take me
a little work and effort, but I did it. Only problem I had was not related to my weight belt or weights it was my mask.
I guess I was nervous on our first dive to 15 feet and when the instructor had me take off my mask and clear it after back on I must have inhaled through my nose when I breathed through the regulator. Of course a small amount of water went down my throat. I couldn't clear it and felt like I was choking. I signaled to the instructor choking and that I needed to go up. I felt in control and could slowly ascend, but he did not want me to go up. I then started to feel more panicked and insisted on going to the surface, he stayed with me and we surfaced. On surfacing he told me I was to never do that, but he never told me what I could have done to clear my throat. Just to focus, regroup and come back down with the others. Needless to say I did, and after our surface interval I removed my mask, cleared it and had no problems when we were on our 20 foot dive. All in all I had a really great time. Hope that I never have that happen again though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom