A video from NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Our dive club just had a great week with Olympic divers in Morehead City, so I though that I would post this video here...

I apologize in advance the cliched soundtrack, but we Yankees just don't know any other songs about the Carolinas. I was going to go with a school song, but it seems that mentioning Duke or UNC starts a flame war, so I went with James Taylor!

[vimeo]24428642[/vimeo]

What an amazing state you guys have for diving. I had a blast, can't wait to come back...

:)

Mike

Thanks, Mike, for posting the video. Brings back many happy memories of my trips there. Renata, Mats and Meredith are in the video, right?

I hope to get down there in Sept if my work schedule allows.

Thanks, Mike, for posting the video. Brings back many happy memories of my trips there. Renata, Mats and Meredith are in the video, right?

I hope to get down there in Sept if my work schedule allows.

Yup, they are there, along with Amos and Clint as well (don't know if you know them). Glad you liked the video, hope to see you this season!

Mike

Yup, they are there, along with Amos and Clint as well (don't know if you know them). Glad you liked the video, hope to see you this season!

Mike

I know Amos, I don't know Clint. Yes, am sure you'll see me this season.

Nice video. Looks like y'all had some good conditions. I haven't dived out of Morehead in a while so I spent my time trying to ID the wrecks.

Yup, we had a great time with Olympus...!

In that video, you can see the Spar, the U-352, the Indra, the Suloide, the Papoose, and the Schurz. I had my macro lens for our trip to the Atlas...

I didn't recognize the Suloide- never been on it. That must have been the one that was all broken up.

Great video. Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we're supposed to be there in August. Will be my first time diving in NC. I'm looking forward to it.

I didn't recognize the Suloide- never been on it. That must have been the one that was all broken up.

Yup, dynamited and wire dragged.

From the Olympus Dive Center website:

"Originally a German vessel, this 338-foot long freighter, is now recognized as the Suloide. It was on March 26, 1943, that this ship found its fatal path while transporting metals to NY. As it was traveling along the coastline, the ship collided with the W.E. Hutton, that had previously been sunk by U-boats a year earlier. The ship traveled around a mile past the Hutton and took its spot in 65 fsw. The ship is very broken apart and scattered throughout the sand because the US Coast Guard used 20 tons of dynamite to prevent it from become a navigational hazard as the Hutton was.  Marine life found here includes spadefish, sheephead, flounder, and seabass."

Great Video! I am diving in NC in August, looking forward to the wrecks and the sharks.

Back
Top Bottom