A Trip to Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazed_dolphin

Contributor
Reaction score
I have August 29 to Sept 1st off and I was thinking about a trip to Okinawa. Any ideas on LDS that I can go to? My wife is a diver too and she'd want an English speaking divemaster but she's lived in Tokyo for almost 8 yrs so she can wing it if the DM just speaks Japanese. I'm Japanese but I'm US navy so I have access to the military Dive shops also. Any suggestions?:)

Or anyone interested in diving with us?

Heck yeah!

An Armt post called Torri station has the best rental gear, and free air, they also do whale shark dives.
There is also a place off base (american owned) that offers trips to the Keramas and other destinations www.reefencounters.org
PM me I'll let you know whats going on.

Also ck out my Okinawa diving site www.goatdawgs.com just post on the forums if you have questions.
Water temp right now is like 86!
Later,

All of the bases there have a dive shop. Not sure about guided dives though. Kadena Marina was doing a Sat morning thing a few months ago.

I have to recommend against the whaleshark dives though (sorry WaterDawg). It is an awful thing to do to a beautiful animal just to make a little money. From my understanding, the animal is trapped, more or less caged, just so they can charge divers to be able to say they dove with a Whaleshark. But, just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks guys for the info but it does not look like I am going to Okinawa end of this month. The plane fare is too pricey at the moment. I would fly one of the military flights out of Atsugi or Yokota to Kadena but since it is not leave I wouldn't be able to get on the flight. However I am transfering in Nov. and want to take a few days down there.

I left Oki about 5 months ago, but when I was there, Torri was the only dive that offered free air. I think they charge a $ or two to rent a tank, but if you have your own tank, they will fill for free. Kadena and Tsunami gear both charge for tanks and air, but at most it will be $3 for both, or $1-2 for an air fill.

Prices for rental gear are about the same at all the shops. To purchase gear at any of them is less expensive than a lot of other locations.

As for dives, none of them really do organized dives (don't know why, I know it has been suggested). Your best bet is to try some of the sites already listed and see if you can find a buddy. There was a guy named Rich Ruth who ran a dive shop out in town called Fathoms (had a web site by the same name), but I heard he left the island.

Torri, Kadena, and Foster are all in the central part of the island. Probably a little more south than north, but about an hour north of the airport and Naha City. Foster and Kadena are both right off the main drag (route 58). Torri takes a little more to get to, it off of route 6 I think.

AliKat once bubbled...
All of the bases there have a dive shop. Not sure about guided dives though. Kadena Marina was doing a Sat morning thing a few months ago.

I have to recommend against the whaleshark dives though (sorry WaterDawg). It is an awful thing to do to a beautiful animal just to make a little money. From my understanding, the animal is trapped, more or less caged, just so they can charge divers to be able to say they dove with a Whaleshark. But, just my 2 cents worth.

AliKat

The whale shark dive is a compromise between the fishermen who would rather kill the whale sharks that get caught in their nets constantly and the aquarium and one local dive operator. The tour generates the funds to feed the whalesharks (around $40,000 each per year to feed), so the aquarium can study them. They are nursed back to health after being caught, studied for a short time and released.

The enclosure is over 200 feet across, 70 feet from top to bottom and is anchored in 140 feet in a high flow area.

Remember, this is a major cultural change for the Okinawan's, who would rather just cut them up and make money.

crazed_dolphin:
dawg? Marine? BTW anyone know anything about the dive shop in Kadena? What do they offer? Is Torii he only one that offers free air?

Kadena Marina offers a decent variety of equipment and accessories, but the last time I was there...no free air! However, you could buy a card for 10 fills at a good discount. I don't know if they do that anymore. Torii didn't have a dive shop when I was there, but free air sounds good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom