A technique tip from Fred Devos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I just got an e-mail from Fred, warning me that this only works if trim is spot-on, and to check it frequently over a silty bottom. Luckily, those aren't hard to find in Puget Sound!

that guy appears to be directing his kick down towards the bottom

Again, the caution about trim. I can tell you that I watched Fred do this about four inches above a silty bottom and saw no silt disturbed, so if you are in proper trim and control your fin tips, this is not a silting kick. I suspect it requires practice to get it right.

Again, the caution about trim. I can tell you that I watched Fred do this about four inches above a silty bottom and saw no silt disturbed, so if you are in proper trim and control your fin tips, this is not a silting kick. I suspect it requires practice to get it right.

yea I agree.
the guy in the video doesn't seem to have put it all together :)

Well, when I was looking for video that really showed this, I went to the frog kick section of AG's Essentials video . . . And it isn't there. There, he shows a frog kick where the knee angle stays almost entirely the same. This was the frog kick I was taught. Richard, if I was doing it wrong, I wish you had said something to me a long time ago . . . Surprisingly, Danny didn't say a WORD about my kick.

I won't worry about it. There's nothing "wrong"; I'm guessing nobody (Ag, Joe, Danny etc) ever noticed you not doing much of a power kick then glide. Your natural movement is little ankle frogs, which is fine. Those put you at Peter-camera-speed which seems to work for ya. Who needs to move fast anyway.

At least your knees don't drag like mine, stupid spine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom