A tale of two services, Shearwater and Oceanic/Huish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, I bought a Teric in May. After 100 dives, the screen went black. I sent it into US service and had it back, repaired in one week. After 5 dives, the AI quit, no link unless in direct contact with the transmitter, they thought the antenna. I had a few other problems, SAC was not always calculated on the onboard log. The GTR seemed quite inaccurate. So, through US service, the Teric was replaced directly from Shearwater Canada in less than a week. I sent my "devil" Teric back and am assured they will do an autopsy. US service, Richard and Michele Morton at Dive-Tronix are absolutely fantastic. I may have just gotten a bad Teric, who can say? Regardless, the service was exemplary.

Now, on to Oceanic/Huish. I'm sure many of you expect a negative review, not in the slightest. I had an 11 year old Pro Plus 2 in which the pressure sensor went out. It was calculating NDLs based on the next highest altitude category. I sent it to Huish via the returns portal. Communication was very good. and they sent me a brand new Pro Plus 2.1 for $175 plus shipping of $14. Not only was the computer new, so was the compass and quick disconnect. The total turnaround time for this transaction was less than 4 weeks, the website warned of a delay of 30 working days. I have nothing but positive comments regarding the Oceanic/Huish service site.

Best of luck to all of you in your service needs

I would second Great marks for the Oceanic service. They have been nothing but stellar over the years.
Planning to buy Shearwater Perdix AI tomorrow and hope not to need their service at all. It is reassuring though to know that they are top notch too.
Thank you, scubadada for the info.

I have had a number of Oceanics over the years. Any problems with them were caused by operator error.

I'm was very pleased with my Geo and at first, missed it when it was gone but since then I have loved my Veo 2 & 3, just as much or more.

my personal experience:

Shearwater: after ~20 dives Teric's screen went black. I've sent the computer to New Zealand (the nearest service center) for ~$60 and after two weeks got a new computer. About 200 dives since then - no problem.

Huish: after ~50 dives Hollis TX1 started to show random symbols instead of normal information. I've sent the computer to America (the nearest service center) and after 10 (ten) months I've got a new computer and was quoted $300 for replacement. About 60 dives with new computer - and the computer failed again.

so Shearwater is quite OK in terms of service and product quality, but no more Huish for me. but YMMV.

I'm currently dealing with Huish taking forever. My Pro Plus 2 also had the pressure sensor go out, so I contacted them asking about trading it in for something newer. I ended up selecting a refurbished OCI with a refurbished transmitter for a total of $300. Now this is just in the initial emails before sending anything in. I submitted the RMA as requested, shipped in my old computer, and nothing. I wasn't asking them to look at the old one or anything, just send me the bill for the OCI and ship it to me. It has been over 2 weeks now and I can't ever get a reply from them. I know 2 weeks is less than your 4, but there wasn't any inspection required or anything. Just a purchase. And in my RMA and emails I even told them I have a trip in March I needed it for. I think the not responding to emails is the part that annoys me the most since at my job, even though we are less than half staffed and majorly overworked, we still have a policy of replying to all emails within 24 hours and handling most requests in 48 hours.

Can anyone provide a link to Huish Outdoors's returns portal?

I've been struggling to find a way to send a couple of transmitters for repair and see nothing on the Oceanic website about how actually to send anything in.

I did send a friend's out-of-warranty Shearwater Perdix for a problem while I was back in the States. I had no difficulty at all figuring out where to send it. Communication was quick and helpful, including a phone call from the person who worked on the computer. Turns out he'd incorrectly set the battery type. The computer came back very quickly, nicely cleaned up and in a case (my friend hadn't given it to me in a case).

Back
Top Bottom