A set of supposedly cheap fins I tested...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sicel1304

Registered
Reaction score
So during my 900 yard endurance swim for my OW certification, my dive buddy let me try out his Proflex fins. When I first slipped them out, they felt extremely flimsy, and I thought that they would fall off after a couple laps or so. It turns out, that I really liked the feel of them, despite their flimsy appearance!

Can anyone here vouch for this type of fin and if so, do they make a open heel design?

Down at the bottom is the exact set of fins I was wearing.

proflex.jpg

you might discover that good fins for swimming are not stiff enough for scuba where you have a lot more resistance in the water ... just a thought ...

Glad they worked well for you though - and if you find you like them the Velocities are similar if I recall and they come in an open heel style.

Aloha, Tim

I know a commercial boat that uses those as rental gear...

I think they are from Costco.

kidspot:
you might discover that good fins for swimming are not stiff enough for scuba where you have a lot more resistance in the water ... just a thought ...

I second this. Some fins are good for surface swims and snorkeling. But it may not mean they are good underwater. On the other hand, good scuba fins might not be a good fin to be used on the surface.

Sicel1304:
So during my 900 yard endurance swim for my OW certification

Not that it's on topic, but what agency requires 900 yards for the swim for OW? I think for diving you'll find the stiffer fin is more useful by the way. Where in MO are you located?

My brother has a pair of those, but they are too small for my foot. I use a pair of full foot snorkeling fins. They work alright underwater, but other, stiffer fins would be better. As it is, my fins are permanently bnet in the middle and are going to break there sometime soon, because they were not meant to be used so much :)

cummings66:
Not that it's on topic, but what agency requires 900 yards for the swim for OW? I think for diving you'll find the stiffer fin is more useful by the way. Where in MO are you located?

I'm taking Scuba 1 through a community college based in St.Louis.

I'll second the comment that fins for surface swimming or snorkelling when a large part of the time is spent at the surface are quite different from fins suitable for diving.

And as for a surface swim of 900yards for OW!
That's just overboard if you'll pardon the pun.

I used to use a set of fins that were close to those....and they worked great 30-40ft down. But I found once I went deeper I never got as much thrust like I did closer to the surface.

It really wasn't a huge deal, but I did go out and buy a nice pair of cressi fins that are much stiffer. I would not trade my cressi fins for anything right now I love them!.....scrach that if someone wants to give me a ds-125 Ike stobe for my camera I would trade the fins..:D

Back
Top Bottom