A sad out come ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is my very opinionated view:

While seeing sharks up close a personal is something that many divers would like to do (me included), I believe that feeding the fish will ultimately alter their relationship with the sea. Look at the National Park system; do we feed bears there? No. If that isn't enough, look at Stingray City, Grand Cayman. Ten years ago, they were fairly gentle creatures during the feeds; however this past summer they were extremely aggressive towards divers, one suffering three hickeys. Now those are fairly benign creatures; sharks are a bit more predatory.

I am not dismissing the fact that the Florida Legislators have their head up where the sun don't shine and turning a blind eye to other potential culprits. To be truely unbiased, the fishing industry chumming the sea near where swimmers bathe has to be addressed as well. A chummed sea near beaches will attract sharks (and other fish) to an area that is well populated. Dive Training Magazine just ran a article/editorial that addresses this as well. I do not believe that divers are the entire issue here; the government is taking a tunnel vision stance on it because diving is viewed as a rogue recreational past time by many. There is a lack of public education and a lack of resources to make the knowledge known.

I would love to see a shark, but I am also an observer and like to see the underwater wildlife in their natural habitat. I do not believe feeding the fish puts them in their natural habitat; we are altering their ecosystem by doing so. The dive industry will find revenue will not be hindered due to the ban on feeding. There are other interesting things underwater.

We have yet to learn from our on going mistakes, perhaps one day the human race will figure out that the bottom line is not always best for the world as a whole; perhaps one day the world population will get its head out of the sand and see all sides of an issue before blindly making decisions that adversly affect others; I just hope that it is not too late.

Very well said, jmsdiver - you put into words what I have been thinking. I agree with you 100%.

(BTW - Netdoc... thanks for letting us in on your views on the 'leave no trace' policy... :eek: )

I used to work for a DC who used to take divers on a nine day liveaboard boat to the desolate regions of the Burmese coast and put 14 divers into the water with two diveguides whilst feeding the sharks. All very professional, whilst the customers

A Nurse Shark feeding is more like feeding animals in a petting zoo than feeding wild lions in Africa.

I have seen the "gentle" nurse shark take of someone's finger because of the feeding.

I have seen white tip reef sharks (2 foot long) bite through wetsuit and incur an air ambulance trip back to Bangkok hospital to sew someone's leg back together.

A little Japanese eight or nine year old lost three toes when a baby reef shark came and nibbled on her foot. Whilst she was feeding the sharks. this was in six inches of water on a crowded beach on an island in Malaysia.

COME ON PEOPLE! These are wild animals! When we are in the water, we are no longer top of the food chain. In fact we are so low down on it, it is ludicrous!

A scenario that rivals this.

Would you travel to deepest darkest Africa and, dressed only in shorts and a t-shirt, search out crocodiles to feed?

I do not think so!

If the Floridian legislation stops shark feeding then damn good job too!

If the DCs are sad, so what. Let them find another method of entertaining their customers.

Any good dive shop will maintain its customer base what ever the legislation on shark feeding is

All fish feeding should be banned. It does alter the animal's behaviour.

Classic example. There is a very large Napolean Wrasse in the Red Sea in Egypt. It got so used to the hard boiled eggs that divers were bringing down, when you did not have any, it attacked you!

The normal chain of events.
1) you feed the shark
2) it equates humans with food
3) it gets confused and eats humans
4) Humans kill the shark
5) No sharks to feed.

Did you know that in 1973 700,000 sharks were killed indiscriminately? Why? Because of Jaws the movie.

It is sad that we must destroy the sea slowly. Soon we will not have any sharks to look at.

Jmsdiver, NetDoc and Belushi

I was beginning to think I was having some outlandish thoughts on the subject, but I couldn't have put it better myself.

For divers in favour of shark feeding, would your opinions be different if the ban was imposed for a different reason, say, if it was scientifically proven that it dramatically alters natural behaviour, or that it attracts species like the mako, as well as the "harmless" nurse and reef sharks?

This thread started with “Shark Feeding” in Florida. My comments in this post (and a previous post) are restricted to Nurse Shark “feeds” in Florida that I have personally seen.

1) I have seen the "gentle" nurse shark take off someone's finger because of the feeding.

On the “feeds” I have seen, the observing divers are not given food and do not hand-“feed” the nurse sharks. The DM handles a PVC pipe that contains the bait. The nurse sharks are attracted by the scent, but only get a trivial amount of food when the DM dumps the bait out at the end of the dive. The sharks disperse as soon as the scent is gone.

2) I have seen white tip reef sharks (2 foot long) bite through wetsuit and incur an air ambulance trip back to Bangkok hospital to sew someone's leg back together.

3) A little Japanese eight or nine year old lost three toes when a baby reef shark came and nibbled on her foot. Whilst she was feeding the sharks. this was in six inches of water on a crowded beach on an island in Malaysia

Hand feeding Reef Sharks in Bangkok and Malaysia should not be compared with the Florida Nurse Shark “feeds” I have tried to describe.

I am against shark feeds that "dramatically" alter sharks' feeding behavior. I am even against shark feeds that "moderately" alter sharks' feeding behavior.

I am not against the "feeding" described above.

I personally have not participated in a "shark feed" but have done a shark dive where we chummed the water to attract the sharks in the open ocean so we could help with some research. I don't find anything wrong with this. We were not hand feeding them, just a bit of their favorite food in the water to attract them so we could catch and tag them.

In my opinion, the shark feeding ban, came about because of all the attacks in the Florida area and a governmental body that doesn't have a clue.

Personally, I would not partake in the type of shark feeding that has been mentioned but at the same time, as long as it is not harming the environment and fish life, let it be.

Guess what? No one cares what we think.

I want you to know that our government was the best we could sort of elect... not knowing how to count and all. As for sharks, we last could count only 3 in the whole state... those three sure get around though. The same sharks were counted from Jacksonville to Pensacola! Hmnnn, maybe THAT explains why the Republicans have control of the House, Senate, and Governor's mansion.

:tease:

Now, just WHERE did I put that asbestos wet suit??? Glad I didn't say anything about the National economy going down the tubes or who I thought was responsible... sure would have made a BIG mess if I had... :tease: Just glad I didn't say anything political like... knowhatImean, Chester???

Back
Top Bottom