A sad but cool find.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I didn't even consider that it might or might not be illegal to take them. It never even crossed my mind. It clearly was from a turtle, the ribs still had a cartelagenous sheet about 1/4 inch thick between them, they were still intact enough to show the basic form of the shell. I guess I'll drive by the beach on my way into work tonight and give them back to the ocean.

PTN

Yeah right, that will really make your day if someone sees you throwing large bones into the sea.
You'll really have some explaining to do. :wink:

One would think that 'ole Cap'n Bob should know what's legal and illegal to take in his home waters...

Looks like you had a great trip. Mine for April was canceled so I'm looking for a way to get back down there and get enough dives to make the trip worthwhile.

See you soon.

One would think that 'ole Cap'n Bob should know what's legal and illegal to take in his home waters...

Bob's only comment was, "What do you want that stinkey old crap for?"

A man of few words, that Cap'n Bob. But with a great sense of smell. They were some stinkey bones by midafternoon.

Bob's only comment was, "What do you want that stinkey old crap for?"

A man of few words, that Cap'n Bob. But with a great sense of smell. They were some stinkey bones by midafternoon.

My kind of guy.... I'll have to book with him sometime! :D

By the way, I don't blame you at all for appreciating some old bones as a keepsake of the dive. You should see the crap I"ve picked up over the years.... :shakehead:

Dave C

I guess I'll drive by the beach on my way into work tonight and give them back to the ocean.

If you haven't already tossed them, you might consider giving them to a non-profit organization that will use them for education. There are exceptions in the possession laws for them.

It's illegal to posses any artifact that is part of an endangered species. It goes with the laws protecting those species. The only exceptions I know of are Eagle feathers and such that are allowed to be possessed by Native Americans for religious purposes.

Isn't "artifact" by definition something worked by humans hands?

If you haven't already tossed them, you might consider giving them to a non-profit organization that will use them for education. There are exceptions in the possession laws for them.

True Roger Williams Zoo has a display every year of Alligator bags, tusk, etc.

Well, I didn't even consider that it might or might not be illegal to take them. It never even crossed my mind. It clearly was from a turtle, the ribs still had a cartelagenous sheet about 1/4 inch thick between them, they were still intact enough to show the basic form of the shell. I guess I'll drive by the beach on my way into work tonight and give them back to the ocean.

PTN

Whitey and the boys from Winter Hill liked to use the pier at Castle Island for such "disposals". I believe those bones were not turtles they tossed in the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom