a retreat from DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanked Monkey:
Sad, but true. That's what happens when there are passionate supporters for both sides of the discussion. Both believe our side is the right one.

Mike

a solution is at hand in a deadlock of right.

a third force. ....

Tanked Monkey:
(brought to you by the kinder and gentler DIR advocate)

i knew it, there are kinder and gentler DIR advocates...... whew.. i thought they all got stuck up in DIR-F cult...... there are the enlightened ones ......

slight sidestep...

why should "we" all get along with each other ? isn't variety better that being all in black?

:wink:

paolov:
why should "we" all get along with each other ? isn't variety better that being all in black?
Why should those two questions be mutually exclusive? Why can't people of "variety" get along with each other? Surely we're all mature enough to discuss our differences in a way that shows some respect for our differences.

BTW ... I've seen it in every recreational activity I've ever participated in.

When I was into sailboat racing, there were always those who delighted in bickering, and in telling everybody else why they were "doing it wrong". It was always a delight to watch them pounding their winch handles into the deck in frustration as we were passing them ... :D

When I was a ski instructor ... same old, same old. A passionate few had all the answers, and everybody else was "an accident waiting to happen". That's why I decided to dedicate myself to teaching kids ... they just want to have fun.

Heck, even when I was heavy into the Grateful Dead ... there was that fraction of Deadheads who seemed to take the band more seriously than the band members did. Guitarist Bob Weir once commented about them that "they really need to get a life".

I think that's true of the more passionate advocates of any recreational activity ... they need to step back and remember why we all do this.

If it ain't fun, why do it ... and bickering ain't my idea of a good time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Why can't people of "variety" get along with each other?

I think that's true of the more passionate advocates of any recreational activity ... they need to step back and remember why we all do this.

If it ain't fun, why do it ... and bickering ain't my idea of a good time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

the getting along with each other was limited to the DIR and NON-DIR advocates not to any other collective group of people. but more on the DIR-F group advocates.

it's hard to step back for those who "think they know it all" to step back.

maybe bickering is fun for them..... rephrase, maybe they enjoy argumentative exchanges. that is THEIR idea of fun.

NWGratefulDiver:
if it ain't fun, why do it ... and bickering ain't my idea of a good time ...... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGD: very well put, as usual.

Jerry Garcia learned to dive with my LDS, Marin Skin Diving, his instructor, Debra Gregor, also taught my son to dive. She is a great teacher. She told me that Jerry was always happy in the ocean. They used to fly to HI for extended days of open water diving. Debra is a no nonsense gal : no smoking, no drugs, just diving. Jerry, like many of us, found peace while diving.

Bickering is not the way to go. The whole thread of "where do you clip it, where do you grip it" is just another lost moment. I do think the board is more and more open; thanks to divers such as you.

mdb:
The whole thread of "where do you clip it, where do you grip it" is just another lost moment.

says you

it's obviously important enough to some of us to talk about it

i think your statement contains some of that disrespect that you profess to dislike. you're basically saying it's a worthless discusion (and, you know,
this is like... a discussion board... :wink:)

i for one did a lot of thinking and had my assumptions questioned in this
thread. that's always a good thing.

i think you're equating "bickering" with "discussion." while i agree that
bickering is generally (though not always) a waste of time, i would never say
the same thing about discussion. that's a very valid way to learn.

H2Andy:
it's obviously important enough to some of us to talk about it

Good on you mate.

next, we'll be arguing about the proper diameter of an argon bottle

H2Andy:
next, we'll be arguing about the proper diameter of an argon bottle

Seriously, any diver worth his salt knows that the argon bottle should be 14cf. Duh :D

Mike

(brought to you by the passionate and cult-like DIR advocate)

Tanked Monkey:
Seriously, any diver worth his salt knows that the argon bottle should be 14cf. Duh :D

Mike

(brought to you by the passionate and cult-like DIR advocate)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom