A repository of 3D print STL sources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Posted this spool a few weeks ago on Thingiverse and /r/scuba -- didn't even know we had a fabrication forum here until today.

upload_2020-9-3_16-32-28.png upload_2020-9-3_16-33-13.png upload_2020-9-3_16-35-3.png

"Not super-amazing, but I'm pleased with the design modularity and printability, and with some of the design choices.

There are quite a few jump spools on Thingiverse, but I didn't love the designs: they required supports, or required load-bearing gluing, or didn't offer good ways to tweak the line capacity, or etc., so: created this from scratch.

I have successfully printed these in PLA, ABS, TPE (NinjaFlex), and TPU. (TPU is actually a pretty good choice, since it will flex rather than crack if it gets smashed between tanks, etc. TPE is a little soft, but also okay.)

Most of the subcomponents use about 5m of material, so if you have samples lying around, this is a handy way to use them."

Thingiverse: Jump Spool / SMB spool (SCUBA) by lairdb

Imgur gallery: Imgur

I'm not going to post the STL for this, because life support, but in case the design exercise is interesting to folks: I made a replacement purge for the no-longer-available Mares Proton. Printed in NinjaFlex, it fit and dove just fine; the perforated area flexed nicely when pressed, allowing the bump to push the lever as planned.

upload_2020-9-3_16-46-10.png upload_2020-9-3_16-46-41.png

(Until other plastic parts of the reg just crumbled. Anyone need one for parts?)

I’m looking to make some lead weights, melt lead into mold. I’ve got some existing weights and a 3d printed one I was able to make from inverting a mold found online that I can use to make the mold to use. Both of these are the same, the basic square-ish ones. I’d like to find something more rounded like the sea pearls designs. Does anyone have or can make one similar to those? If not I’ll eventually rework the model I have, just looking for faster/easier. . Initially just 2# weights but plan on 3&4# ones eventually.

This is a dump string knob I designed for a friend that has hard time with just string. Dump knob link

I remade some cookies to be smaller than the "standard" size. Cookies link

I also made a smaller REM marker. REM link

I'm working out a new finger spool similar in basic design to the newer OMS spools, as I really like the concave finger "grip" on the ends. First prototype is printing right now. If I get the settings working well I'll post that one to Thingiverse as well and put a link.

I'm also working on finalizing a design for a boltsnap-to-gopro underwater housing adapter currently. Might actually see if I can sell a few of those eventually as I'm liking the prototypes so far. Here's a pic of an early prototype:

Gopro Boltsnap Round 1.jpg

I've been using PETG for all my prints for stuff to be used underwater, as the limited water absorption and increased strength over PLA seemed like it would make a good option. What's everyone else using for these kind of things?

This is a dump string knob I designed for a friend that has hard time with just string. Dump knob link

I've been using PETG for all my prints for stuff to be used underwater, as the limited water absorption and increased strength over PLA seemed like it would make a good option. What's everyone else using for these kind of things?

I primarily use ABS for functional prints. I was starting to use PETG before a computer crash (finally had to replace a decade old desktop) cost me all my print profiles. PETG will return to the lineup as soon as I get it printing right again.

I remade some cookies to be smaller than the "standard" size. Cookies link

I also made a smaller REM marker. REM link

I'm working out a new finger spool similar in basic design to the newer OMS spools, as I really like the concave finger "grip" on the ends. First prototype is printing right now. If I get the settings working well I'll post that one to Thingiverse as well and put a link.

I'm also working on finalizing a design for a boltsnap-to-gopro underwater housing adapter currently. Might actually see if I can sell a few of those eventually as I'm liking the prototypes so far. Here's a pic of an early prototype:

View attachment 650235

I use PLA, I thought it would be an issue..I had every intention of switching to PETG but I just got lazy. No issues yet. I've only used a goodman handle so far, but it's held up well for over a year. I reprinted a little more dense due to cracking, but the 2nd one is pretty solid.

I'm also working on finalizing a design for a boltsnap-to-gopro underwater housing adapter currently.
Ah, you must stop the print to put on the snap bolt?

Ah, you must stop the print to put on the snap bolt?

Yes Sir, he would have to. Most modern printers have a pause, heck mine even tries to continue after a power failure.

I print Scuba stuff at 100% infill... I don't want water to seep into it an not be able to get it out.

In theory this is true, but reality is whatever we print will only see such a small time underwater. I don't think it's as much a concern as I did before.

After my 1st model started to crack (I think it was 60% infill, 3 walls) I cut into it to see if there was any moisture. I couldn't find any.

My new model was printed with 80% infill (to me 100% is past the point of diminishing returns). You can look up cross sections of 80% vs 100%. No a lot of difference structurally, but 100% takes a bit longer to print. Just sharing my experience.

So far no issues at all.

The one downside to PLA is you can't let it get hot, so a hot car or dive box would let it change shape a little.

One other thing I forgot I use every dive is a long shaft that stays on my belt to stow the long hose. Works pretty well, 80% infill PLA. If I do it again I'll probably make it longer.

Back
Top Bottom