A quick trip to Maui. Where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am just back from Maui. I did 3 boat dives with B&B, they were great. I am sure there are other good dive ops, but I don't think you can go wrong with B&B, they are very friendly and professional. They split the groups by skill level so everyon can get a good full dive, typically 45 min on a first deeper dive and an hour on the second shallower dive. The DM's will ID unusual critters and share their shore diving knowledge. The only negative about B&B is they depart early (meet at 5:45AM at the boat ramp, depart around 6AM), this allows them their choice on the mooring balls and using the early morning flat water, but plays havoc with your night life.

I also did shore diving. Ulua was very easy shore dive, sandy protected entry. Very popular for classes or for practice. My favorite was 5 caves / graves. The cove entry is rocky, but protected, easy compared to Maine. Tons of turtles, but I only found 3 of the caves. The sand entry at Makena landing was easier, but more of a swim to the interesting stuff in the same reef area as the cove marked with the 5 graves.

Thanks to everyone so far!! Is the Saint Anthony's wreck doable from shore? I can find plenty of information about the wreck itself, but no maps and it's not mentioned as a shoredive anywhere.

Long swim as it's in 70 feet of water. Those that do it as a shore dive normally have a kayak or scooter.

Thanks to everyone so far!! Is the Saint Anthony's wreck doable from shore? I can find plenty of information about the wreck itself, but no maps and it's not mentioned as a shoredive anywhere.
I've done it ONCE swimming out from the Keawakapu/Mokapu beach access lot. 20+ minutes of swimming each way, ending up at a spot with a fair amount of overhead boat traffic. For navigation, I took a bearing to a boat sitting on the wreck before I entered the water.

I just did it on a lark one day when the Ulua parking lot was full, and as just kind of a personal challenge to see if it could be done. I won't be doing it again swimming. Maybe as a scooter dive.

Kidspot's Aloha Divers website (see post #5 above) has bearings from a couple points. My bearing was 240 from the base of the stairs at the beach access lot at the end of S. Kihei road.

Well I have looked over the book (The Divers guide to Maui) and I'm thinking a couple of shore dives at Ulua/Wailea, 5 caves and Ahihi. We're heading up to Kapalua one day, so maybe we'll take our gear and try the pier up at Lahaina. I setup a boat dive with B&B Scuba. The nice thing is we decided to stop over in Maui again in June on our way to Truk. This should give us an opportunity to dive some other sites this summer. Thanks to everyone who gave their input.

Well I have looked over the book (The Divers guide to Maui) and I'm thinking a couple of shore dives at Ulua/Wailea, 5 caves and Ahihi. We're heading up to Kapalua one day, so maybe we'll take our gear and try the pier up at Lahaina. I setup a boat dive with B&B Scuba. The nice thing is we decided to stop over in Maui again in June on our way to Truk. This should give us an opportunity to dive some other sites this summer. Thanks to everyone who gave their input.
Sounds like you have things figured out. From your list of planned sites, you will do fine, though that's not always the case when one picks up the Diver's Guide to Maui.

The author of that book is said to be "part billy-goat" -- there are some shore-dive sites listed in that book that are not suitable for most divers simply because of the entry/exit AND approach. Always be sure to run your planned site past the folks where you get your tanks... as long as they're divers they should know. The top two recommended dive shops seem to be Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei and Pacific Dive in Lahaina -- they both tend to be ready and willing to talk story about any diving you want to do, whether they're getting a slice of the pie or not.

Other operations, from time-to-time, employ non-divers... I've actually had one guy at one un-mentioned chain tell me the viz was excellent when in fact, it was 0-5' and had been for several days. He just didn't know better.

I'll be on Maui for a long three day weekend in January. We'll be staying in Kihei and would like do some diving. I've looked at shorediving.com and just ordered "The Divers Guide to Maui", but I would love some local insight.

We would like to shore dive two days and do one boat dive. So, if you had two days to see the best shore diving in Maui, where would you go?

For the boat dive we are thinking Molokini or Lanai. Which would you chose?

Thanks
I am taking my family to Maui March 22-29, 2007 and looking to dive two days with my 19-year old son who is certified. I am interested in what you did this month.

We shore dove 5 Caves, Ahihi and Ulua as well as a boat dive to Molokini and Puu Olai.

5 Caves: Surf was high and entry and exits were a bit difficult in the small rocky bay. Vis was poor @ about 20 ft, but still plenty to see. We never found any of the caves, but came across a group of 8 turtles all laying together in a little valley. Lots of fish, eels, etc..

Ahihi: The vis here was excellent (60 ft or so). Very large heathly reef. Saw some turtles, eel, and tons of fish. It's a longer walk from the parking area, but worth it. The parking area is rough so if you have a small car with little clearance, get there early.

Ulua- Large coral heads, but they were not as heathly and colorful as the other two spots in my opinion. Lots of life though. We got there at 7am and the lower lot was already full, so there early. Very easy entry and exit. Vis around 30-40 ft.

Boat Dive- We went with B&B Scuba for our boat dives and tank rentals. They were great!! The boat was crowded with 10 divers and 4 crew members, but they did a nice job (they split us into 3 groups). Molokini was nice. Great vis and plenty to see. We did see 3 sharks and again lots of fish, eels, ect.. The second dive was Puu Olai which was a drift dive. Nice coral and plenty to see.

Loved Maui. We had a great time!!

There is an alternate entry for 5 caves just south at Makena Point. It is a sand entry, longer swim to the nice stuff but if you don't like rocks it an alternative. If you use B&B, just ask for shore dive advice, they will share any current info. Nice people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom