A Quick Trip Report 4/17-4/24/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for the detailed report. I certainly stregthens my resolve to return to Cozumel soon.

My "Yahoo" story is from June 2003 in Cozumel. We dove with Deep Blue on 8-pak boats, with 4 to 8 people each day. One day there was an older couple of matched Yahoos with our group. Probably mid to late 60's married couple.

They were incredibly intent on being the 3rd and 4th person in the line as we wound our way through the Palancar Gardens. They didn't necessarily need to be immediately behind the Guide, but if more than one person got between them and the guide, watch out!

Cory (early 50-something female) was trying to hang near the Guide, and I was supposed to be buddy with her. Her two DM-rated sons had returned to the US, so she felt more comfortable staying near the Guide. I stayed within close range as best I could.

Several times the Yahoos would just pass right over/through me to get closer to the Guide. I felt like Texas roadkill because I got run over so many times. The Yahoos pulled themselves along the reef on numerous occasions, and I got several chances to see major silt clouds, if you know what I mean. Cory actually got run over by them a couple times herself, and she was getting really annoyed.

My favorite was when one Yahoo or the other would float up just a little bit, then suddenly decide to drop right down on top of one of us. No apology, nothing. We each had one just drop right on top of us at least once. No remorse, nothing. Suddenly there is a gently flailing body on top of you, pushing you down towards the sand. Unbelievable.

Since we were winding our way through slots and pinnacles etc, it was not uncommon for you to only be able to see part of the group. Any time the Guide got out of their view, they would swim-crawl right over whoever was in front of them until they were able to see the Guide again.

We really tried to stay out of their way, but you would be amazed at the single-mindedness of some people.

Fortunately they were not "know-it-alls" on the boat. In fatc they kept completely to themselves and were very quiet. We just cut them some slack and said nothing, but stayed the heck out of their way on the second dive.

There are lots of Yahoos out there, it is key to identify them, and give them a wide berth!

Wristshot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom