A quick question about diving in MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MADiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, everyone. First, I would like to say that this is such a great forum. I've been digging through old threads for the past few days and have found a ton of information about diving in the region. Without this site, I would be thoroughly confused right now. But I still have a few questions, and hopefully you can give some guidance.

My wife and I are certified and we have about 20 dives under our belt in tropical locations. We initially got into diving so that we could dive on vacation, but we're both starting to get the itch as soon as we get home from our trip, so we're looking into diving during the summer and fall up here. We will mostly be diving off of Cape Ann. My question pertains to my wife: she gets pretty cold while diving - even after an hour-long dive in the Caribbean. If I even want to think about diving regularly up here, I have to keep her warm. Is diving dry the only realistic option for her up here? Neither of us has used a drysuit before, but we could take a local course and get it out of the way for a few hundred bucks (including rental suits) early next summer.

I only ask because it seems like the trend on this site is for people to dive in 7mm wetsuits and then finally break down a few years later and get a drysuit. Would it be smart to just throw the money down now and go dry at the start (though we wouldn't buy a drysuit until after we try it during the course)?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can give us.

Diving dry is not really that difficult. And to do the sort of work you want it is the best option.

Drysuit manufactures tend to advertise their product as some sort of "James Bond" apparatus.

In reality it is nothing more than a plastic bag allowing you to wear toasty undergarments while underwater.

Add to that the desire of agency salesmen to con you into spending cash on a "course" learning how to use this plastic bag...

I think you see where this is going..

If I even want to think about diving regularly up here, I have to keep her warm. Is diving dry the only realistic option for her up here? Neither of us has used a drysuit before, but we could take a local course and get it out of the way for a few hundred bucks (including rental suits) early next summer.

I only ask because it seems like the trend on this site is for people to dive in 7mm wetsuits and then finally break down a few years later and get a drysuit. Would it be smart to just throw the money down now and go dry at the start (though we wouldn't buy a drysuit until after we try it during the course)?

I did only 40 dives in my first year of diving, all of them in a 1/4" wetsuit, all in New England with water temps from 50 to 70, all of them feeling too cold for my liking. My first dive the following season was in a drysuit and I loved the warmth. I subsequently averaged 85 coldwater drysuit dives per year for several years because it was just so comfortable! :)

Nevertheless, I think you're certainly wise to try the drysuit before committing to such a large purchase. It also might make good sense to dive coldwater in a wetsuit for awhile until you're sure you like it enough to go dry. Compared to warmwater diving, coldwater diving, especially in a drysuit, will require more gear, more weight, and more preparation. You might not find it worth the effort and hassle.

If you're prone to getting cold, like I am, but still love coldwater diving, diving dry will be a no-brainer! I love being warm for the entire dive, no matter what the conditions! :D

Dave C

How cold does the wife get and does she wear a 3mm, or 5mm in the Caribbean?

As per New England diving - as Dave mentioned certainly worthwhile if you are thinking of longer term stuff - but can be an expense & hassle. If you are thinking long term a drysuit around here is a very worthwhile purchase on safety and fun.

Cheers,

X

A drysuit is definitely a great way to stay warm, but the other advantage is its ability to extend your diving season. Obviously, Northeast weather conditions are unpredictable in the Northeast even during the summer, and get more so after Labor Day, but you do get those odd freaky late fall/winter weather days where conditions are lovely. Being topside in that weather in a wet 7mm between dives would make anyone miserable, but you won't feel much of anything with drysuit underwear and a thermos of hot tea.

If you can, attend a 'demo day' organized by a drysuit manufacturer. DUI and Whites are just two companies that take their suits to various quarries around the US, so people can try before they buy. A representative will provide advice about fitting and so on, and dive with you and your wife. Try a couple of models if you can. If you like what you see, you can think about buying one.

As for a drysuit course, that's definitely one solution. Another option is to find an experienced drysuit diving buddy who is willing to take you to confined water and dive with you several times. It shouldn't cost you any more than a few lunches and/or a case of beer to say thanks, and the ongoing advice provided by a mentor is absolutely priceless.

How cold does the wife get and does she wear a 3mm, or 5mm in the Caribbean?

As per New England diving - as Dave mentioned certainly worthwhile if you are thinking of longer term stuff - but can be an expense & hassle. If you are thinking long term a drysuit around here is a very worthwhile purchase on safety and fun.

Cheers,

X

She gets cold enough in a 3/5mm full that she'll want to end the dive after 50+ minutes. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

A drysuit is definitely a great way to stay warm, but the other advantage is its ability to extend your diving season. Obviously, Northeast weather conditions are unpredictable in the Northeast even during the summer, and get more so after Labor Day, but you do get those odd freaky late fall/winter weather days where conditions are lovely. Being topside in that weather in a wet 7mm between dives would make anyone miserable, but you won't feel much of anything with drysuit underwear and a thermos of hot tea.

If you can, attend a 'demo day' organized by a drysuit manufacturer. DUI and Whites are just two companies that take their suits to various quarries around the US, so people can try before they buy. A representative will provide advice about fitting and so on, and dive with you and your wife. Try a couple of models if you can. If you like what you see, you can think about buying one.

As for a drysuit course, that's definitely one solution. Another option is to find an experienced drysuit diving buddy who is willing to take you to confined water and dive with you several times. It shouldn't cost you any more than a few lunches and/or a case of beer to say thanks, and the ongoing advice provided by a mentor is absolutely priceless.

Thanks for that information - I had never even thought of that. I'll see if I can find a demo day within a reasonable driving distance.

Thanks for that information - I had never even thought of that. I'll see if I can find a demo day within a reasonable driving distance.

DUI does one every year in Gloucester, MA, usually in mid-May, at Stage Fort Park. I've been thinking of going just to dive something different and hang out.... :)

Here's a link for DUI's 2010 schedule. I don't know when they'll post the new schedule, but mid-May in Gloucester has been typical.

2010 DOG Rally Participating Dealers

Dave C

I'm not sure that you can rent a drysuit to try out but if your wife gets cold easily, you might find that she doesn't get into cold water diving even with the drysuit. It just might be best to start with a real warm wet suit in our warmest months. If 12-14 mm of neoprene isn't enough to keep her comfortable in 60+ degree water, the drysuit might just be a waste of money.

As for a course, most dealers who sell the suits will include the drysuit certification course for free. It's not much of a course but it generally gives you some support in weighting, weight distribution and avoidance/correction of inversion.

Good luck.

My wife and I are certified and we have about 20 dives under our belt in tropical locations.

Before you invest in a dry suit or even a thicker wet suit you should rent a suit and take a dive. New England diving is nothing like Caribbean diving. Low viz, cold SIs, tough entries (made tougher by the additional equipment) don't expect to see a lot of picturesque critters. Although a lot of the critters you will run into are quite tasty! That being said diving in New England is better than not diving at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom