A question for newly qualified divers...........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

its my way of thinking but what you put in is what you get out. I decided when I started in diving that I wanted to be a complete diver, and well to get tought the skills cost money. I know that when I dive I don't want to dive with the guy who was on vaction and just learned to dive ect. this happens to be a sport and as such there will be novices and professionals. it should be the dive shops that regulate by some means. I drove around to several dive shops and talked with each before I decided on who would teach me I found a shop that doesn't want students like cattle but wanted me to learn so I would be ready to enjoy myself.

I think that most students learn out of convience those are they that I will not to buddy with

did I learn enough in my OW class? yeah to know that I want to be a complete diver and that takes more time under water with someone that I feel has the proper skills regaurdless of what organization that taught them

ah .02 worth

Originally posted by Fishkiller
it should be the dive shops that regulate by some means. I drove around to several dive shops and talked with each before I decided on who would teach me I found a shop that doesn't want students like cattle but wanted me to learn so I would be ready to enjoy myself.

ah .02 worth

That is the reason that I have suggested starting something where shops can take a role in regulating, by having mentored dives etc.....

Would this type of regulation being discussed work? would people go for it, and more importantly, can it be made comercial enuogh for shops to go for it?

Jon T

I also got a QA questionaire after completing my AOW course, filled it out and sent it back. I think that each and every student should be sent one of these and that each every skill that is required should be on it. I also think that PADI should put inspectors in the field and have them drop in on their instructors from time to time. Maybe even sign up for a class with that instructor, anonomously, if the situation warrants it.

Originally posted by turnerjd
Walter,

The principle that money has changed hands actually brings about an explicit rather than implicit DOC.

In this case, you are acting as a business and then would have a DOC. If I happened to, say, be on a second RIB and happened to be the most qualified diver (by certs), I would not necessarily have an implicit DOC. Morally, its a different matter as we all need to look out for each other (hence the buddy system)

Warhammer,

that suggestion with PADI dropping in on instructors and signing up for their courses is way cool! nothing beats being there in person. the spectre of such a thing hapenning should get instructors all over start thinking about their fundamental responsiblities in this dangerous sport.

tomcat

Well, guess that goes back to my profession, since that's what I do for a livin. Not in scuba but in surprise inspection nonetheless. I think it would have it's place in scuba, but I imagine alot of instructors would not welcome it. I'd suggest it be used in cases where there is reason to do so, after a few complaints for instance. But I do think it would definately weed out the bad instructors, depending on the sanctity of the inspector.

No S***,
the guy who just tried to get me to take his class sent me a note stating that I should not ask about the class at the shop as he was not affiliated with the shop (How the heck did he get my name?), buy the PADI book and read it - we will be diving right away and btw - this will only cost you $110, so a lot cheaper than what the agency charges... Hmm - would you be wondering - I would like to see that guy get a surprise inspection - I'm pretty sure he is not teaching the best line out there...

Maybe I just need to learn to spell anal retentitive?

Terkel
ps. Thanks for your comments on the PADI AOW - that in itself made me very clear on turning this down.

Jon T
yes the two courses were with the same inst.

and hammer
i don't know how valid this is but I was told, by a PADI staff inst., that PADI does have "undercover inspectors". this could be true or it could be bukk s@#t, I don't know.

I learned quite a bit in my class. But somethings just can not be taught in a classroom. Many other things I have learned are from divemasters and experiance. In the classroom, they can tell you what to do, but will you do it is the question. Simple things such as not checking pressure left are sometimes forgotten. I can tell you this, once a person is in a scuba accident or mishap, they will be more cautious forever. Unfortunaly sometimes divers will forget things, or do not learn them, and the results can be fatal. I have learned a lot in class, but I have learned more from other people. Like I said before, somethings can not be taught.

Mike

Well Mike,

I hate to tell you - but the day you learn enough...
Be careful that you don't confuse learning with experience - If you say that you have learned a lot of stuff from dive buddies, but that this stuff could not be taught - I would have to assume that you possess some sort of mind reading ability... Otherwise this is stuff that can be taught - the cclassroom just doesn't offer enough time to get to the knowledge that only experience holds...

Anyway - good diving ya'll.
The wire for the dump valve (actually the pin) broke this morning - no biggie, I just had to stand on my head to use the rear dumper to get air out... Couple of cool ratfish out there...

Cheers,
Terkel

Back
Top Bottom