A question for newly qualified divers...........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tyki,

"My husband and I both recognized that it will require many dives with dive masters and or dive instructors before we would even consider diving on our own."

This is a common attitude, but it only works when you are at a resort that caters to your type of diver or you pay a DM to dive with you. In many areas you are on your own. Another problem with this is while you gain experience you never go back to pick up those skills you never learned. Some people become dependent on the DM and never wean themselves from following the leader.

"1. Well, I personally think that when I put on the weight belt that it had too much weight on it for me, I want to practice starting with zero weight and finding the right amount for myself."

A common error. Most instructors do not take the time to properly weight their students. Some are clueless about the entire topic. Actually checling weight in the water is the only way to know for sure.

"2. I want to try a couple different snorkels, I had trouble keeping my snorkel clear and the instructor said it was because the snorkel I was using was too short (the weights were keeping me low in the water and I kept getting water in the snorkel)."

Did you ever learn to use a snorkel? Most courses never teach skindiving although it's an important part of a good course.

"3. I managed to "sip" the air for the freeflowing regulator for the required 30 seconds, but I'd like to practice that again."

This is one of those skills PADI required that some other agencies ignored. It is an excellent skill and 30 seconds isn't enough. YMCA added it as a requirement this year. PADI gets kudos for taking the lead on this one.

"4. My husband and I managed to swim together while sharing air (using the octopus) but it felt awkward, I'd like to take some time practicing that a bit more."

Practice any skill you aren't comfortable with until you are.

"5. I want to try some different fins, I felt like I was fighting with them some to keep them where I wanted them."

Fins are a matter of personal perference. I prefer Scubapro Jet Fins, other like one of the split fins or something else. I'd recomment practicing swimming in fins without SCUBA until you are comfortable with your fins. Any fin will feel unnatural at first.

"Most of the things on this list are a matter of becoming more comfortable with the equipment. It's not that I can't do the skills, just that they aren't second nature to me yet."

The skills (and more) should be second nature to you. Keep it up, it'll be good for you.

I'm very encouraged by your attitude, it shows you will continue to work on learning more and improving your abilities. A little research prior to starting your class would have been better for you. Good luck and if I can help, please contact me.

Aegir,

I agree, your friend was short changed, he needs another course, check out http://diverlink.com/newdiver/ for info on how to choose a course. There are several related topics there that should help.

WWW™

Hi Walter, so how much pool time ( in general) do new OW divers usually get? what does PADi say about how much time should be spent in the swimming pool?

PADI standards require 5 confined (pool) water dives. I am not a PADI instructor, so perhaps this could be better answered by a PADI instructor. It is my belief that there are no time requirements, but that all skills must be completed prior to moving to the next pool session. It is my understanding that most pool session last approximately 2 hours. Other agencies have their own requirements which differ from PADI's. YMCA, for example requires a minimum of 12 hours pool training. IMHO, this is not enough, my classes are scheduled with 16 hours of pool time.

HTH,

WWW™

Hey Aegir, Walter,

I'm not an instructor and I probably have fewer dives than most of the newbies here but I thought that the 2 pool sessions were more than sufficient for the general populace.

Being comfortable in the water depends on the individual and one solution that my instructor had was to make assessments of whether a particular diver needs to come back for more pool sessions (foc).

I thought this was a good idea as I was getting pretty bored doing all the mask clearing, out-of-air, losing my mask, etc. exercises.

IMHO, the number of pool sessions should be structured around the amount of time that it takes to practice the necessary underwater exercises. If a trainee is comfortable, then there is no point continuuing practices in the pool and building a false sense of security as conditions in the sea tend to be different (e.g. waves, weird terrain on the bottom, funny fish :Þ).

What do you guys think?

tomcat

............I also believe most classes leave out many skills that are very helpful. These additional skills would have increased your abilities, your confidence level and decreased your boredom.

WWW™

tomcat,
If you think you don't need pool practice, maybe you already have a false sense of security.
When I practice the skills to where they become second nature. Then when I NEED them they are automatic, No panic, no having to think about what to do next.
Tavi

Tavi,

I totally agree. I am not saying that I don't need pool lessons, but that 5 hrs is prob enough (given Padi's training syllabus). Essential skills such as being able to find your reg when it pops out of your mouth should be second nature.

Thing is, how many times do you need to pop the thing out of your mouth and practice finding it before it becomes second nature?

But as Walter said, there are prob more useful skills not covered by Padi that should be included. These would warrant more hours in the pool if the time spent is not sufficient to bring a trainee up to the required proficiencies.

Walter, what might these skills be, btw (just so that I know what I have missed out on and be able to take remedial action if possible). Thanks!

tomcat

Check them out at: http://diverlink.com/newdiver/agencycomparison.htm
you'll see a comparison of 3 agencies standards.

BTW, I have quite a few dives under my belt, yet I still practice skills on a regular basis. They are second nature to me and I intend to keep them that way.

WWW™

Hey guys,

This may be a stupid question, but i thought "sipping air" was not really necessary. Why can't you just put a free-flowing regulator into your mouth and breathe from it?

tomcat

the only stupid question is the one you never asked. The reason you can't simply keep a free flowing reg in your mouth is that it is a constant, and usually quiet strong, flow of air. If you locked your mouth around it, one of 2 things would happen; 1) It would simply pop out of your mouth when the pressure built up or 2) You'd end up with an overexpanded/ruptured lung! That's why you sip air from it. It is an imtimadating skill at first. But once you try it, it's quiet simple. Just remember to tilt your head slightly so your mask doesn't get blown off. When I practice this skill, I usually grasp one side of the mouthpiece in the corner of my mouth. That makes it easier for me to sip the air and keeps it handy.

Well actually, now that I think about it, the above is only true with a reg that is free flowing badly, like if you held down the purge. Sometimes you can have a slight free flow, or leak is probably a better word, that you can control with the reg in your mouth. Then you wouldn't actually lose any air, but be prepared to spit the sucker out if the pressure becomes to great.

Back
Top Bottom