A question about DCI and joints.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks-

I'm studying for the DAN first aid course, and there's a question that they haven't answered enough for me to understand.

I know that DCI is caused by bubbles forming and growigin the bloodstream because nitrogen or other inert gasses are not eliminated, but.... why does it seem like it appears a lot of the time in the joints?

I'm biologically-ignorant. I can thank going to art school for that. But is it simply that the space between bones is a convenient place for bubbles to settle? Or are the bubbles no more likely to be there than any tissue, but we're more sensitive there?

Sincerely,
A Biologically Challenged MFA holder.

Bubbles can form in any supersaturated tissue, but they nucleate preferably in liquids, like blood or the fluid in joints, especially when it is in motion, again think flowing blood or moving joints. Friction in the joints can nucleate bubbles. Joints have very slow gas exchange, so they would be akin to a slow tissue compartment in the models, whereas blood is fast, as it directly does to the lungs.

Bubbles can form in any supersaturated tissue, but they nucleate preferably in liquids, like blood or the fluid in joints, especially when it is in motion, again think flowing blood or moving joints. Friction in the joints can nucleate bubbles. Joints have very slow gas exchange, so they would be akin to a slow tissue compartment in the models, whereas blood is fast, as it directly does to the lungs.
That makes sense.. Thanks for answering!

Just for a simple example, think of a glass of cold soda. When you look at it, you might see no bubbles or just a few, but if you were to *hit* the glass, a lot more bubbles would form.

When you’re diving you end up with gas dissolved everywhere, and if you follow the dive tables it’ll slowly dissipate without issue. But if trauma occurs a “bubble out” (nucleation) can occur, which results in DCI. These types of traumas are likely caused by movement, which is clearly centered around joints.

This is my attempt at a simple analogy of the situation.

There isn't much blood flow in ligaments or in tendons. That probably allows dci to set in to the anatomy of a joint. As stated above, there isn't a lot of gas exchange.

I would be willing to bet you could find some research on this if you wish you read more about it. Also, there is at least one MD Ive seen on here so far. I'm sure an Md would probably be able to explain it to you as extensively as you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom