A Point to Ponder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess till someone gets the "amazing" idea to teach Hogarthian diving as a certification, nobody will have a true definition to call "the real thing".
Do we need this to have this forum? Maybe it would help, I don't think so. It will become just like the DIR forum.
I found the forum to be interesting because it gave me ideas of what others are doing using the same types of gear that I use. I follow a lot of the DIR standards, but like fresh ideas too.
I don't see that anyone needs to argue about anything here. I can see a use for this forum since it is in fact based on a set of principles.
I am not going to post the actual article JJ wrote as I don't want to get into copy write stuff, but I think I will start a new thread and offer the links above as a basis for Hogarthian ideas.
have fun....
Greg

Dr. Frankenmule:
Do we need this to have this forum? Maybe it would help, I don't think so. It will become just like the DIR forum.

Oh I doubt it will become just like the DIR forum. Unless of course the rote answer to "what is hogarthian" or "what would a hogarthian diver say about this" becomes "take the class."

Oh yeah, and everyone starts driving white ford trucks.

peengers:
Oh I doubt it will become just like the DIR forum. Unless of course the rote answer to "what is hogarthian" or "what would a hogarthian diver say about this" becomes "take the class."

Oh yeah, and everyone starts driving white ford trucks.

You have the best avatar in history.

detroit diver:
Based on the links that were provided to me, I would agree with you.

I find it odd though, that no one who was "hogarthian" challenged any of the aspects of that person's dive setup. In fact, some actually encouraged it. Is the term "hogarthian" so loose that anything is acceptable?

That's because Horarthian is about choice(s) not challenge. That lets the diver decide what's best for a particular dive or dive site. Hope this helps

novadiver:
That's because Horarthian is about choice(s) not challenge. That lets the diver decide what's best for a particular dive or dive site. Hope this helps

So let me get this right. As long as you're wearing a BP and wings, anything else is acceptable because the diver decides what's best for him in his/her situation.

Is that correct? Maybe I should'nt assume the BP and wings fit in here. What other "rig" would be acceptable?

jonnythan:
To me that seems to be the prevailing wisdom in this, IMO useless, forum. The signal to noise ratio is very low. The only few threads that have useful information in them would be better suited in the respective equipment forum.

The existence of this forum gives people something to argue and debate (and increase post counts) over. There should be a single "What is Hogarthian" thread somewhere, and the forum should, again IMO, be removed.

If you feel a forum is useless, wouldn't it make sense to just not go there?

Might not feel as good as telling other people that their opinions are useless, but it'd be a heck of a lot less effort.

FWIW - this forum was created for all the people who want to use BP/W configurations other than DIR, who couldn't ask a question in the DIR forum without getting told to take it somewhere else.

This is the somewhere else. Seems you should be happier not having them littering up your sandbox ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

OneBrightGator:
Some of these threads have got me thinking, when diving with someone new or when a familiar buddy changes some aspect of his configuration it is very important to be throughly familiar with his/her rig.

From the posts in this forum, we all dive different rigs, some people have their cannister light on the right hip, some bolted to the backplate, some people have their backup lights clipped off to their shoulder D-rings, some toss 'em in a pocket, some wrap their long hose, some stuff it, so on and so on.

You should be familiar enough with your buddies equipment well enough to be able to locate any piece of equipment blindfolded, including, but certainly not limited to regulators, inflator(s), drysuit apparatus, SPG, lights, reels/spools, pockets (and know what's in them).

This is solid practice, Hogarthian or not, however, I've seen few people actually do it.

Ben

I would go one step further and say that the manufacturers should adhere more closely to standardized designs for specific functions ... for purely safety reasons.

I had a recent example of how important this is when attempting to demonstrate a rescue technique on someone with a very non-standard inflator hose ... I couldn't figure out where the damn inflate button was. Made the demo difficult ... thank God it wasn't a real emergency.

I don't think it's necessary to go quite to the lengths that DIR standards take it ... but I do think that functionally standardized gear goes a long way toward safer diving. That extends way beyond being familiar with your buddy's gear ... because the person who might be saving your bacon may not be your dive buddy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you standardize there will be no innovation!

Isn't that how the argument goes?

NWGratefulDiver:
If you feel a forum is useless, wouldn't it make sense to just not go there?

Might not feel as good as telling other people that their opinions are useless, but it'd be a heck of a lot less effort.

FWIW - this forum was created for all the people who want to use BP/W configurations other than DIR, who couldn't ask a question in the DIR forum without getting told to take it somewhere else.

This is the somewhere else. Seems you should be happier not having them littering up your sandbox ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So let's count how many times I got slammed and told to leave the forum for my opinion. Geez, DD brought up a good point and I gave my opinion on the whole mess. Big deal.

That being said, the BC forum would be the appropriate place for non-DIR bp/w questions, don't you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom