A Point to Ponder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator:
You should be familiar enough with your buddies equipment well enough to be able to locate any piece of equipment blindfolded...
This point was pounded home to me this last summer when I did the Public Safety Diver training here. I had to disentangle a diver a couple of times from both simulated and real (unplanned! :11:) entanglements in completely zero visibilty. It was critical that we know each other's configuration.....

D. D.
JJ tells it pretty well in this article he wrote on it. It's one of the articles I read originally. I'll have to look for the other ones I found, but there are more out there.

I am perfectly aware he is talking about tha caving community, but he is also giving a good overview of Hogarthian thinking. ALSO, notice he is talking about Hogarthian and does not mention DIR.
There is comments about the light cannister, 7' hose and placement and some basic comments on SPG, gauges and placement. The pictures on the first page gives a good referance point for gear.
http://www.sfdj.com/hogarthian/hogarth1.html Page 2 has the article.

Greg
PS,
Oh yeah,
If nobody can agree on what it is, why bother having a forum to discuss it? We have to have some basis of what it is to be able to discuss it, or don't we?????
I then propose a new system, the "big honkin suckerfish method". Talk amongst yourselfs I'm a little vaclempt, this is just butter...... I'm off to the moon, Peace.

I'd never seen that article before. Thanks for the link.

As for the "why bother having a forum to discuss it?", before I'd read your link, that was my exact feeling. It was almost like everyone doing their own thing w/ a BP and wings. JJ's post at least puts some cohesion on the different aspects of hogarthian diving.

Dr. Frankenmule:
D. D.
JJ tells it pretty well in this article he wrote on it. It's one of the articles I read originally. I'll have to look for the other ones I found, but there are more out there.

I am perfectly aware he is talking about tha caving community, but he is also giving a good overview of Hogarthian thinking. ALSO, notice he is talking about Hogarthian and does not mention DIR.
There is comments about the light cannister, 7' hose and placement and some basic comments on SPG, gauges and placement. The pictures on the first page gives a good referance point for gear.
http://www.sfdj.com/hogarthian/hogarth1.html Page 2 has the article.

Greg
PS,
Oh yeah,
If nobody can agree on what it is, why bother having a forum to discuss it? We have to have some basis of what it is to be able to discuss it, or don't we?????
I then propose a new system, the "big honkin suckerfish method". Talk amongst yourselfs I'm a little vaclempt, this is just butter...... I'm off to the moon, Peace.

jonnythan:
I believe there are other tenets to Hogarthian than minimalism.

Based on the links that were provided to me, I would agree with you.

I find it odd though, that no one who was "hogarthian" challenged any of the aspects of that person's dive setup. In fact, some actually encouraged it. Is the term "hogarthian" so loose that anything is acceptable?

detroit diver:
Based on the links that were provided to me, I would agree with you.

I find it odd though, that no one who was "hogarthian" challenged any of the aspects of that person's dive setup. In fact, some actually encouraged it. Is the term "hogarthian" so loose that anything is acceptable?

To me that seems to be the prevailing wisdom in this, IMO useless, forum. The signal to noise ratio is very low. The only few threads that have useful information in them would be better suited in the respective equipment forum.

The existence of this forum gives people something to argue and debate (and increase post counts) over. There should be a single "What is Hogarthian" thread somewhere, and the forum should, again IMO, be removed.

jonnythan:
To me that seems to be the prevailing wisdom in this, IMO useless, forum. The signal to noise ratio is very low. The only few threads that have useful information in them would be better suited in the respective equipment forum.
But at least you can generally expect to find details pertaining to this general gear set-up rather than reading through 3-5 different forums which deal with other types of gear as well. Of course i am sure you would like people to continue to ask the same questions on the DIR forum and those getting shunted off to another forum.
jonnythan:
The existence of this forum gives people something to argue and debate (and increase post counts) over. There should be a single "What is Hogarthian" thread somewhere, and the forum should, again IMO, be removed.
Guess whether you have to read this forum or not, or continue to gripe about its very existance - just skip past it as you scan SB or put in the kind of search for new posts as James Goddard put up in the site support forum, fairly simple, nay-saying is so positive i find - if you dont have anything good to say, well you know the rest :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom