A Point to Ponder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Some of these threads have got me thinking, when diving with someone new or when a familiar buddy changes some aspect of his configuration it is very important to be throughly familiar with his/her rig.

From the posts in this forum, we all dive different rigs, some people have their cannister light on the right hip, some bolted to the backplate, some people have their backup lights clipped off to their shoulder D-rings, some toss 'em in a pocket, some wrap their long hose, some stuff it, so on and so on.

You should be familiar enough with your buddies equipment well enough to be able to locate any piece of equipment blindfolded, including, but certainly not limited to regulators, inflator(s), drysuit apparatus, SPG, lights, reels/spools, pockets (and know what's in them).

This is solid practice, Hogarthian or not, however, I've seen few people actually do it.

Ben

This is a very good point and is one of the primary reason behind the standardized gear configurations. Obviously, you don't need to be all the same to know where your buddy's gear is, but it certainly helps when you only have to ask yourself, "Where is this piece of gear on *me*."

Also, when we add or make changes we need to not make too many at once.

DrDuktayp

Hadnt noticed that many differences in gear config between myself and most of my buddies, even though we were taught by different instructors and through different agencies. A photographic memory also helps me :wink: I believe i could find any item in a blackout/siltout conditions given a second to work out which end is my buddies head/foot and work from there in a second or two towards their gear that i need.

You shoulda taken a look at the differences between mine and Fred's gear then, from an almost pure DIR configuration to... not. :D

DrDuktayp:
Also, when we add or make changes we need to not make too many at once.
Very good point also, I have a rule that I have one new "thing" per dive, a piece of equipment, new dive site, anything.

OneBrightGator:
You shoulda taken a look at the differences between mine and Fred's gear then, from an almost pure DIR configuration to... not. :D
I havent closely studied his set-up, even though he has been around our group i havent dove directly with him in anything but 20ft of water (different set up) - although i have been in the same system when he has dove with others (you are one of those). However seeing as he came through the same instructor as me, i am surprised that his gear is way out there if influenced by Rick.

Even so, yes the standardized system is great, although i would say that the people i dive with in overheads are configured very closely to me (but not identical), a good buddy check before the dive is all that is needed to realise if there is anything "out of place", which typically it isnt. :wink:

DrDuktayp:
Also, when we add or make changes we need to not make too many at once. DrDuktayp

I suggest only one (major) change/addition at any one time. And that change or addition should be tested in a very controlled environment.

For some reason I had the idea that the Hogarthian method had suggestions for such things. Wasn't there a general idea of the placement for each item kind of like the DIR approach, but without the diver being beheaded for non compliance? I had ran across some web pages giving some general guidelines when I went to this method. I used the GUE and WKKP pages as well, but got a bit turned off to DIR after reading some posts from G.I.
Greg
PS, Green M. Nice web page, I like the flag, can I have a copy of it for my web page?

Dr. Frankenmule:
For some reason I had the idea that the Hogarthian method had suggestions for such things. Wasn't there a general idea of the placement for each item kind of like the DIR approach, but without the diver being beheaded for non compliance? I had ran across some web pages giving some general guidelines when I went to this method. I used the GUE and WKKP pages as well, but got a bit turned off to DIR after reading some posts from G.I.
Greg
PS, Green M. Nice web page, I like the flag, can I have a copy of it for my web page?

How can a "hogarthian method" suggest things when there is no agreement on what a "hogarthian method" is?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom